The Eastern Echo Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024 | Print Archive

A blue and white sign says "Vote Here" with a red arrow.

Voter Guide: Washtenaw County

The most important job we have as American citizens this election season is to stay informed. Understanding the positions we are voting for and researching all candidates is crucial.

There is a lot to keep track of as November approaches. Consider organizing key information on a concise page to bring with you on voting day. Most voting offices, including Washtenaw county, allow voters to bring campaign literature into polling places as long as they do not distribute, display, or leave any items behind. This means you can create a “cheat sheet” to ensure you know all the candidates you want to vote for. 

Below is a quick guide to what you will see on November 5 for the county positions.

Washtenaw County

• County Clerk/Register of Deeds: four-year term. Serves to record and manage public records.
    • Lawrence Kestenbaum
      • Democratic, has been the county clerk/register of deeds for Washtenaw County since 2004. Bachelor’s degree from Michigan State University, Juris Doctor from Wayne State University. 69 years old, married, one child. 
      • Top priorities: voting rights, human rights, and marriage equality.
    • Samantha Strayer
      • Republican, running for first term. Writer at Hillsdale College. Bachelor’s degree from the University of California- Irvine, master’s degree in politics from the Hillsdale College Graduate School of Statesmanship. 
      • Top priorities: voter fraud, election integrity, land ownership record keeping. 
  • County Treasurer: Four-year term. Serves to collect revenue, administer tax laws, and safeguard public funds. 
    • Latitia Lamelle-Sharp
      • Democratic, running for first term. Graduated from Eastern Michigan University. Currently a Division Administrator with the Washtenaw County Public Defender. Endorced by retiring Tresurer McClary and Fems for Dems. One child.
      • Top priorities: foreclosure prevention, community efforts. 
    • Robert F. Zimmerman
      • Republican, running for first term. Bachelor’s degree in economics and business from Carnegie Mellon University, and MBA in Accounting and Finance from Northwestern University. Married with two children.
      • Top priorities: lowering taxes, carefully watching expenditures. 
  • County Sheriff: Four-year term. Serves to enforce laws, manage jails, tend to court security, and provide training and development for the law enforcement department.
    • Alyshia M. Dyer
      • Democratic, running for re-election. Former Wasgrebaw County Deputy Sheriff, experience in road and marine control. Bachelor’s degree from Eastern Michigan University, advanced degrees from the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy and the School of Social Work at the University of Michigan. Licensed social worker. Endorced by Young Democrats of Michigan. Her Bold Move, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan, Rep. Debbie Dingell, Sen. Jeff Irwin, and more.  
      • Top priorities: criminal justice reform, social, racial, gender, LGBTQ+, and labor justice.
  • County Commissioner District One: Four-year term. Legislative body of Washtenaw County. Each commissioner represents the citizens of their district.
    • Jason Maciejewski
      • Democratic, running for re-election. Bachelor Arts in Poltical Science and Master’s in Public Administration from the University of Michigan- Dearborn. Age 54, married with three children. 
      • Top priorities: preservation of court services, broadband internet services, lower carbon emissions, community mental health services.
    • Phyllis L. Risdon
      • Republican, running for first term. Degree in Industrial Chemistry Technology from Ferris State College. Widowed, two children. 
      • Top priorities: limited government, lowering taxes, Christian beliefs, upholding the Constitution.
  • County Commissioner District Two: Four-year term. Legislative body of Washtenaw County. Each commissioner represents the citizens of their district.
    • Crystal Lyte
      • Democratic, running for re-election. Bachelor of English Language from Eastern Michigan University. Endorced by Jerry Clayton, Sue Shink, Jason Morgan, Jimmie Wilson Jr., LiUNA!, Working Families Party, and more. Up for relection. Married, two children. 
      • Top priorities: mental and physical health, education, expungement services, land conservation, and environmental protection.
    • P. McNichol
      • Republican, running for first term.
  • County Commissioner District Three: Four-year term. Legislative body of Washtenaw County. Each commissioner represents the citizens of their district.
    • Shannon Beeman
      • Democratic, running for re-election. Has served on the board of commissioners since 2018. Bachelor’s in Fine Arts from Kendall College of Art and Design, Master’s of Business Administration from Walsh College. Endorsed by Rep. Debbie Dingel, Felicia Brabec, Jason Morgan, Washtenaw County Democratic Party, and more. Married, two children.
      • Top priorities: tax budgeting, neighborhood and infrastructure, affordable housing.
    • Ryan L. Baumgart
      • Republican, running for first term. Bachelor‘s in Mechanical Engineering from New Mexico State University, Juris Master. Owns and is CEO of a small business. Former teacher in a cross-cultural environment.
      • Top priorities: security. Heritage, and community.
  • County Commissioner District Four: Four-year term. Legislative body of Washtenaw County. Each commissioner represents the citizens of their district.
    • Caroline L. Sanders
      • Democratic, running for third term. Master’s from Eastern Michigan University in Legal Administration and Technology. Currently works as Eastern Michigan University’s Associate Director of Community Relations and Engagement. Endorsed by UAW.
      • Top priorities: expanding child health care programs, healthcare, and education.
    • Alberta A. Borneo
      • Republican, running for first term. 
  • County Commissioner District Five: Four-year term. Legislative body of Washtenaw County. Each commissioner represents the citizens of their district.
    • Justin D. Hodge
      • Democratic, running for re-election. Professor of Social Work at the University of Michigan. Married. Endorsed by Jeff Irwin. Sue Shink, Jimmie Wilson Jr., Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan Equality, Michigan Action Network, and more. 
      • Top priorities: equality, healthcare, financial empowerment, mental health.
    • Brett Birk
      • Republican, running for first term. Four children.
      • Top priorities: limiting taxes, budgeting county funds. 
  • County Commissioner District Six: Four-year term. Legislative body of Washtenaw County. Each commissioner represents the citizens of their district.
    • Annie Somerville
      • Democratic, running for re-election. Currently chief of staff to State Senator Jeff Irwin. Bachelor’s degree in political science from Eastern Michigan University. Endorced by Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan, LiUNA!, Florence Roberson, JoAnn McCollum, and more. 
      • Top priorities: human service needs, housing, nutrition programs.
    • Mike Eller
      • Republican, running for first term. Small business owner. Four children.
      • Top priorities: taxes, law enforcement, infrastructure.
  • County Commissioner District Seven: Four year term. Legislative body of Washtenaw County. Each commissioner represents the citizens of their district.
    • Mary Kozonis-Marudas
      • Green, running for first term. Master’s Degree in Medical and Psychiatric Social Work. 
      • Top priorities: mental health, education.
    • Andy LaBarre
      • Democratic, running for re-election. Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Wittenberg University and Master’s degree in Public Administration from Eastern Michigan University. Endorsed by Jerry Clayton, Christopher Taylor, Jeff Irwin, and more. Married with two children.
      • Top priorities: human services, mental and public health.
  • County Commissioner District Eight: Four-year term. Legislative body of Washtenaw County. Each commissioner represents the citizens of their district.
    • Yousef Rabhi
      • Democratic, running for re-election. Bachelor’s in Environmental Science from the University of Michigan. Previously electeted to Michigan’s House of Representatives. Served as House Democratic Floor Leader. Endorced by Michigan AFL-CIO. 36 years old. 
      • Top priorities: afordible housing, climate justikce, healthcare and social services. 
    • Leslie Kay Shannon
      • Republican, running for first term.
  • County Commissioner District Nine: Four-year term. Legislative body of Washtenaw County. Each commissioner represents the citizens of their district.
    • Katie Scott
      • Democratic, running for re-election. Works as an intensive care unit nurse. Graduated from the George Washington University.
      • Top priorities: mental health, poverty, affordable housing, income inequality.
    • Lori A. Miner
      • Republican, running for first term.
  • Judge of Probate Court: Six-year term. Responsible for managing estates, appointing guardians, handling constested wills, and resolving legal matters.
    • Darlene M. O’Brien
      • Nonpartisan, running for re-election. Bachelor’s degree from the University of Toledo, Master’s from Notre Dame Law School. Previously worked as an attorney, representing clients in criminal and civil matters.
  • Judge of District Court (14A District): Six-year term. Responsible for managing the court, presiding over trials, appointing magistrate judges, and maintaining order.
    • Cedric J. Simpson
      • Nonpartisan, running for first term. Previously served as Chief Judge for the Institute of Continuing Legal Education. Former chairperson of the Race, Ethnic, and Gender Bias Committee. Bachelor of Science Degree from the University of Maryland East Shore, Juris Doctor from the University of Maryland.
  • Judge of District Court (15 District): Six-year term. Responsible for managing the court, presiding over trials, appointing magistrate judges, and maintaining order.
    • Tamara Garwood
      • Nonpartisan, running for re-election. Previously worked as a local attorney. Recieived a Bachelor’s of Political Science from the University of Michigan and a Juris Doctor from the Detroit College of Law. 
    • S. Kerene Moore
      • Nonpartisan, running for first term. Bachelor’s and Juris Degree from the University of Michigan. Currently serves as the Director of Convictin Integrity and Expungement at the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s office. Previously served in the Washtenaw County Circuit Court.
  • County Prosecuting Attorney: Four-year term. Responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes, representing their county, and advising county officials.
    • Eli Savit
      • Democratic, running for second term. Formerly served as a law clerk to Ruth Bater Ginsburg and as a civil-rights and public-interest attorney. Graduated from Kalamazoo College for Bachelor’s and the University of Michigan Law School for Master’s. Endorsed by Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan, Equality Michigan Action Network, and Michigan AFL-CIO.

The easiest way to be sure of what your ballot will look like on November 5, is to visit the Michigan Voter Information Center’s website. You can view your exact ballot and verify your voter registration status by entering your name, birth month and year, and zip code. From there, you will be able to see if you are registered to vote, where your polling place is, and who your clerk is. This site will help you confirm your polling place and provide links to update your voter information or register for the upcoming election. If you’re living in Ypsilanti for the school year but want your vote to count from home, absentee voting is an excellent option that won’t interfere with classes. Students who would like to vote in Ypsilanti have the option to vote at the Honors College building this year. October 21 is the last day to register online, and after the 21, voters will have to register in person.

Using voter guides can help you quickly learn the basics about what will be on your ballot, but doing your own research is essential to ensure that your contribution to democracy is serving you and your community in the best way possible. Stay informed, and make your voice heard!