The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024 | Print Archive

@visuals_unsplash.jpg

The Eastern Echo's guide to voting in the state of Michigan

There is a lot to keep track of as the November election approaches. Keep reading for a voting guide to positions up for election in the state of Michigan.

Most voting offices, including Washtenaw County, allow voters to bring campaign literature into polling places as long as they do not distribute, display, or leave any items behind. This means you can create a 'cheat sheet' to ensure you know all the candidates you want to vote for.

• Representative in State Legislature 32nd District (This may change based on your voting location): State legislators represent their district within Congress. Washtenaw County is in Michigan’s 32nd of 110 districts. If you are voting outside of Washtenaw County, check your representative candidates. These positions are reelected every two years.
    • Jimmie Wilson Jr.
      • Democratic, running for reelection. Received Aircraft Mechanic License from the Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology. Endorsed by American Federation of Teachers - Michigan, Equality Michigan Action Network, Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan Education Association, Michigan League of Conservation Voters, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan, Service Employees International Union Michigan, Sierra Club, and We the People. Married with four children.
      • Top priorities: Housing, LGBTQ+ rights, renewable energy, civil rights.
    • Martin A. Church
      • Republican, running for first term. Bachelor’s from Spring Arbor University in Human Development and Family Studies, Master’s from Regis University in Library and Information Science. Endorsed by Citizens for Traditional Values.
      • Top priorities: Reducing taxes, supporting infrastructure improvements, and balancing the state budget.
    • Ryan Sample
      • Green, running for first term.
  • Member of the State Board of Education: The U.S. Constitution gives the states rights to schooling and education. This means that the members of Michigan’s Board of Education govern statewide curriculum, assessments, graduation requirements, and funding. The term for board members is eight years. Each voter may vote for up to two Board of Education candidates. 
    • Theodore Jones
      • Democratic, running for first term. Doctor of Education from Michigan State University. Senior Accountant for talent initiatives at Global Detroit. Endorsed by American Federation for Teachers Michigan, Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan Education Association, and Service Employees International Union Michigan.
      • Top priorities, including immigrants in the economy.
    • Adam Frederick Zemke
      • Democratic, running for first term. Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan State University. Served in the Michigan House of Representatives. MiSTEM Advisory Council member. Endorsed by American Federation for Teachers Michigan, Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan Education Association, and Service Employees International Union Michigan. 41 years old.
      • Top priorities: Access to early childhood education, school system budgeting.
    • Tom McMillin
      • Republican, running for reelection. Previously served as Chairman of the House Education Committee. Endorsed by Jim Sunestad, Steve Carra, Tom Leonard, Citizens for Traditional Values, and the Michigan Conservative Coalition.
      • Top priorities: Local control, parental choice, students’ rights.
    • Nikki Snyder
      • Republican, running for reelection. Graduated with a nursing degree from Eastern Michigan University. Endorsed by Citizens for Traditional Values and Renewal Ministries. 39 years old.
      • Top priorities: Healthcare, education, local control over education.
    • Scotty Boman
      • Libertarian, running for reelection. Bachelor’s in physics and philosophy and master’s in physics from Western Michigan University. 62 years old.
      • Top priorities: Diversifying curriculum, parental choice, ending gun free school zones for legally qualified gun owners. 
    • Ted Gerrard
      • U.S. Taxpayers, running for first term.
    • Christine C. Schwartz
      • U.S. Taxpayers, running for first term. Degree in finance from Davenport University.
    • Mary Anne Hering
      • Working Class, running for first term. Bachelor's from University of Illinois Chicago, master's from Michigan State University. Former community college professor.
      • Top priorities: Increasing education funding, more money for under-funded school districts.
  • Regent of the University of Michigan (no more than two): The eight members of the Board of Regents for the University of Michigan work with the university president to oversee administration, university systems, and funds for all three University of Michigan campuses over an eight year term. Each voter can vote for up to two Regents. 
    • Denise Ilitch
      • Democratic, running for reelection. First generation college student. Bachelor’s from the University of Michigan and Juris Doctor from the University of Detroit. Endorsed by American Federation for Teachers Michigan, Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan Education Association, and Service Employees International Union Michigan. 68 years old.
      • Top priorities: Lowering university tuition, university diversity, commitment to student safety.
    • Shauna Ryder Diggs
      • Democratic, former regent running to return to board. MD from University of Michigan in dermatology. Member of Junior League of Detroit, and Director of the Detroit Medical Center Advanced Laser Treatment Center. Endorsed by American Federation for Teachers Michigan, Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan Education Association, and Service Employees International Union Michigan.
      • Top priorities: Healthcare and improving campus culture.
    • Carl Meyers
      • Republican, running for first term. Bachelor’s from University of Michigan-Dearborn, School of Business. Currently Senior Vice President of Investments for Raymond James. Endorsed by Citizens for Traditional Values.
      • Top priorities: Freezing tuition, student safety, and eliminating hate speech.
    • Sevag Vartanian
      • Republican, running for first term. Degree in Actuarial Mathematics from University of Michigan, MBA in Finance and Statistics from the University of Chicago. Endorsed by Citizens for Traditional Values. Married with three children.
      • Top priorities: Prioritizing resident admission and freedom of speech.
    • Andrew Chadderdon
      • Libertarian, running for first term. Degree from University of Michigan. Currently works as a Senior System Engineer for Hella Industries. 
    • Donna M. Oetman
      • U.S. Taxpayers, running for first term. Currently works as a life insurance representative.
  • Trustee of Michigan State University: The Board of Trustees of Michigan State University are responsible for advocating for the university, aligning with public purposes, and interacting with other state agencies. Each member serves an eight year term. Each voter may vote for up to two Trustees. 
    • Rebecca Bahar-Cook
      • Democratic, running for first term. Graduate of Michigan State University with a degree in Urban Planning and Development. Previously served on the Ingham County Board of Commissioners. Founded the Ingham County Women’s Commission. Endorsed by American Federation for Teachers Michigan, Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan Education Association, and Service Employees International Union Michigan. 54 years old. Married with two children.
      • Top priorities: University affordability, promoting board civility, and cooperation with university groups. 
    • Thomas Stallworth III
      • Democratic, running for reelection. Former Michigan state representative, board member for Detroit Public Schools. Endorsed by American Federation for Teachers Michigan, Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan Education Association, and Service Employees International Union Michigan. Married with four children.
      • Top priorities: Public service, human rights.
    • Mike Balow
      • Republican, running for first term. Attended the U.S. Naval Academy. Served for seven years of active duty. Currently works in real estate. Endorsed by Citizens for Traditional Values. 52 years old. Married with three children.
      • Top priorities: Lowering tuition, engaging stakeholders, and strengthening core academic strengths.
    • Julie Maday
      • Republican, running for first term. Degree from the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Served in Novi as city councilwoman and a planning commission member. Endorsed by Citizens for Traditional Values. 54 years old. Married with two children.
      • Top priorities: Enforcing freedom of speech, removing biological men from women’s sports, and emphasizing education over indoctrination.
    • Grant T. Baker
      • Libertarian, running for first term.
    • Janet M. Sanger
      • U.S. Taxpayers, running for first term. Married.
    • John Paul Sanger
      • U.S. Taxpayer, running for first term. Married.
    • John Anthony La Pietra
      • Green, running for first term. Currently works as an attorney. Formerly taught English as a second language in Japan. Married with two children.
      • Top priorities: Freedom of speech, freedom to protest, and human rights. 
  • Governor of Wayne State University: The board of Governors at Wayne State University elect the president of the university, supervise general university workings, and manages bylaws and regulations. Each of the eight members serves an eight year term. Each voter may vote for up to two Governors. 
    • Rasha Demashkieh
      • Democratic, running for first term. Earned pharmaceutical degree from Wayne State University. Served as commissioner and vice chair of the Michigan Civil Rights Commission. Former board of trustee for Port Huron Area School District. Endorsed by American Federation for Teachers Michigan, Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan Education Association, and Service Employees International Union Michigan.
      • Top priorities: Student success, diversity, affordability, and accessibility.
    • Mark T. Gaffney
      • Democratic, running for reelection. Endorsed by American Federation for Teachers Michigan, Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan Education Association, and Service Employees International Union Michigan. Married with three children.
      • Top priorities: Student safety, faculty unions, and tuition pricing.
    • Michael Busuito
      • Republican, running for reelection. Previously worked in Teamsters and unions for labor and healthcare workers. Endorsed by Citizens for Traditional Values. 
      • Top priorities: Improving medical school, student access, and university transparency. 
    • Sunny Reddy
      • Republican, running for first term. Master’s degree in chemical engineering from Wayne State University. Endorsed by Jim Runestad and Michael Webber. Married with one child.
      • Top priorities: Ensuring tuition "remains reasonable,” STEM research, and community development.
    • Farid Ishac
      • Libertarian, running for first term. Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Michigan, master’s in finance from Wayne State University.
    • William Mohr II
    • Sami Makhoul
      • Green, running for reelection. Doctor of Chiropractic Medicine at Life University. Currently works as a chiropractor.
      • Top priorities: investments directed towards more human needs, student fees, human rights, environmental care.
    • Suzanne Roehrig
      • Working Class, running for first term. Bachelor’s degree in English Literature and graduate degree in Library and Information Science from Wayne State University.
      • Top priorities: Lowering tuition, reducing student debt.
    • Kathleen Oakford
      • Natural Law, running for first term.

The easiest way to be sure of what your ballot will look like on Nov. 5, is to visit the Michigan Voter Information Center’s website. You can view your exact ballot and verify your voter registration status by entering your name, birth month and year, and zip code. From there, you will be able to see if you are registered to vote, where your polling place is, and who your clerk is. This site will help you confirm your polling place and provide links to update your voter information or register for the upcoming election. If you’re living in Ypsilanti for the school year but want your vote to count from home, absentee voting is an excellent option that won’t interfere with classes. Students who would like to vote in Ypsilanti have the option to vote at the Honors College building this year. Oct. 21 is the last day to register online, and after the 21, voters will have to register in person.

Using voter guides can help you quickly learn the basics about what will be on your ballot, but doing your own research is essential to ensure that your contribution to democracy is serving you and your community in the best way possible. Stay informed, and make your voice heard!