The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024 | Print Archive

voting picture unsplash

The Eastern Echo's federal voting guide

The most important job we have as American citizens this election season is to stay informed. Understanding the positions we are voting for and researching all candidates is crucial.

There is a lot to keep track of as November approaches. Consider organizing key information on a concise page to bring with you on voting day. Most voting offices, including Washtenaw county, allow voters to bring campaign literature into polling places as long as they do not distribute, display, or leave any items behind. This means you can create a 'cheat sheet' to ensure you know all the candidates you want to vote for. 

While many associate the 2024 election primarily with the presidential race, there are numerous other positions that keep our democracy running smoothly. Below is a quick guide to what you will see on Nov. 5 for the federal positions.

• President: This position heads the Executive Branch of our government for a four year term. Voters should be aware that there are more than just two candidates for president of the United States and should research not only all of the candidates, but also the impact of voting for a third-party candidate. 
    • Kamala Harris and Tim Walz
      • Democrat, running for first term. Endorsed by Joe Biden, Barack and Michelle Obama, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Jimmy Carter, Al Gore, Dick Cheney, Democratic Party, and Working Families Party. 
      • Harris: Currently vice president of the United States. Previously attorney general of California, U.S. senator, and prosecuting attorney. Bachelor’s degree from Howard University and Juris Doctor from University of California, Hastings. 59 years old. Married with two children. 
      • Walz: Currently governor of Minnesota. Enlisted in the Army National Guard after high school, then attended Chadron State College for a bachelor's degree in social science education. Former member of the U.S. House of Representatives. Age 60. Married with two children.
      • Top priorities: Reproductive freedoms, federal cannabis legalization, eliminate medical debts, gun safety, strengthen the Affordable Care Act, stronger border security and more pathways to citizenship, and LGBTQ+ rights.
    • Donald Trump and JD Vance
      • Republican, running for second term. Endorsed by Alexander Acosta, William Barr, Betsy DeVos, Matthew Whitaker, Jerome Johnson, Jed Babbin, Republican Party.
      • Trump: Bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Pennsylvania. 78 years old. Married with five children.
      • Vance: Currently U.S senator. Enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps after high school, and then received bachelor’s degrees in political science and philosophy from Ohio State University. Juris Doctor from Yale University.
      • Top priorities: Stop migration by closing borders, ending inflation, gun rights, abortion bans, tax cuts for workers, and strengthening the military. 
    • Chase Oliver and Mike ter Maat
      • Libertarian, running for first term. Endorsed by Classical Liberal Caucus, Franklin County Libertarian Party of Ohio, Jo Jorgensen, and Keenan Dunham.
      • Oliver: 39 years old.
      • Maat: Former White House Office of Management and Budget financial economist. Bachelor of Science in aeronautical engineering and Master of Business administration from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and MS and Ph.D degrees in economics from The George Washington University. Married with four children.
      • Top priorities: Lowering cost of living and inflation, simplifying legal immigration, increasing access to healthcare, and eliminating federal involvement in education.
    • Randall Terry and Stephen E. Brodan 
      • U.S. Taxpayers, running for first term. Endorsed by Tom DeLay.
      • Terry: Degrees from Elim Bible Institute, Empire State College, and Norwich University. 65 years old. Married with seven children.
      • Brodan: Bachelor and master’s degrees in communication from the University of Michigan, and a master's degree in Bible studies from Dallas Theological Seminary. 72 years old. Married with three children.
      • Top priorities: Banning abortion and the criminalization of birth control.
    • Jill Stein and Rudolph Ware
      • Green, running for first term. Endorsed by Kshama Sawant, Tariq Ali, and Muslim American Public Affairs Council. 
      • Stein: Currently a practicing physician with a degree from Harvard Medical School. 74 years old. Married with two children.
      • Ware: Undergraduate degree from the University of Minnesota and Ph.D in history from the University of Pennsylvania. 50 years old. 
      • Top priorities: Free lifelong education, universal healthcare, social justice, declare climate emergency, and establish foreign policy based on diplomacy, international law, and human rights.
    • Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Nicole Shanahan
      • Natural Law, running for first term. Endorsed by the Alliance Party of South Carolina, Natural Law Party, Libertarian Party of Colorado, Reform Party, and Hamel Holley.
      • Kennedy: Graduated from Harvard University, Juris Doctor from the Virginia School of Law. 70 years old. Married with six children.
      • Shanahan: Bachelor’s degree from the University of Puget Sound, Juris Doctor from Clara University School of Law. 39 years old. Married with one child.
      • Top priorities: Remove county from conflict with Russia, gun rights, eliminate censorship.
    • Joseph Kishore and Jerry White
      • No party affiliation, running for first term.
      • Kishore: Currently the National Secretary for the Socialist Equality Party. Age 44. 
      • White: Bachelor’s degree from Brown University and Master of Business administration from the University of Michigan. 61 years old.
      • Top priorities: Large corporations under worker control, end of Gazan genocide, withdrawal of all US troops and military aid abroad, rights for working class, and affordable housing.
    • Cornel West and Melina Abdullah
      • West: Bachelor’s degree from Harvard College, Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy from Princeton University. Age 71.
      • Abdullah: Bachelor’s in African American Studies from Howard University, and master’s and doctors in philosophy from University of South Carolina.
      • Top priorities: Raising federal minimum wage, increasing paid parental leave, declare climate emergency, and stopping genocide in Gaza.
  • Senator: The U.S. Senate has two representatives from each state that constitutes half of Congress. They vote on bills, amendments, policies, and motions. Senators serve six-year terms, with one-third of the Senate up for reelection every two years. 
    • Elissa Slotkin
      • Democrat, running for first term. Represented Michigan for three terms in the House of Representatives. Bachelor’s degree in Sociology from Cornell University and a Master’s of International Affairs from Columbia University’s School of Public Affairs. Endorsed by Dave Bing, Haley Stevens, Winnie Brinks, American Federation of Teachers - Michigan, Michigan AFL-CIO, Michigan Association for Justice, Michigan Education Association, Michigan United Action, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan, Sierra Club - Michigan. 48 years old. 
      • Top priorities: Healthcare, gun violence protection laws, women’s rights, voting rights, and widening the middle class.
    • Mike Rogers 
      • Republican, running for first term. Graduated from Adrian College before serving as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army. Former state senator. Endorsed by Donald Trump, the Police Officers Association of Michigan, Democrats Serve, Sandy Pensler, and the Michigan Farm Bureau. Age 61. Married with two children.
      • Top priorities: National security and defense, enforcing policies on crime, and space exploration.
    • Joseph Solis-Mullen
      • Libertarian, running for first term. Graduate of Spring Arbor University and the University of Illinois’ Political Science programs. Currently an independent researcher and journalist. Married with children.
      • Top priorities: Removal from foreign affairs, reducing censorship, and limiting inflation.
    • Dave Stein 
      • U.S. taxpayers, running for first term. Trained in trades and self-educated.
      • Top priorities: Limiting government involvement, rights to individuals rather than government, and legal citizenship laws.
    • Douglas P. Marsh
      • Green, running for first term. Bachelor’s degree in philosophy from the University of Michigan. Married with one child.
      • Top priorities: Single payer-healthcare, reproductive rights, affordable housing, clean water, and a ceasefire in Gaza.
    • Doug Dern
      • Natural Law, running for first term. Bachelor’s degree from Oklahoma University, Juris Doctor from Thomas Cooley Law School. Currently works as an attorney. Age 63. Married with three children.
      • Top priorities: Increase agricultural and environmental funding, increase corporate taxes, eliminate death penalty, and support national assessments in schools.
  • Representative in Congress: Washtenaw County is in Michigan’s 6th of 13 congressional districts. If you are voting outside of Washtenaw county, check your representative candidates. These positions are reelected every two years. 
    • Debbie Dingell
      • Democratic, running for sixth term. Bachelor’s degree in foreign services and master's in liberal studies from Georgetown University. Endorsed by American Federation of Teachers - Michigan, Clean Water Action, Michigan Education Association, and Michigan AFL-CIO.
      • Top priorities: women and children’s rights, healthcare, public school support.
    • Heather Smiley
      • Republican, running for first term. Bachelor’s and master’s degree from Central Michigan University. Endorsed by Michigan Initiative, Michigan Health Choice Alliance, Medical Liberty Pledge, Americans for Tax Reform, and Citizens for Traditional Values. Married with two children.
      • Top priorities: Balance the federal budget, safety in schools, ballot and voter integrity, and criminalize abortions.
    • Bill Krebaum
      • Libertarian, running for first term.
      • Top priorities: Repeal federal ban on marijuana, gun rights, and stopping funding in Israel.
    • Clyde K. Shabazz
      • Green, running for first term.
      • Top priority: Green New Deal: economic reset, climate and clean energy, and infrastructure renewal.

The easiest way to be sure of what your ballot will look like on Nov. 5, is to visit the Michigan Voter Information Center’s website. You can view your exact ballot and verify your voter registration status by entering your name, birth month and year, and zip code. From there, you will be able to see if you are registered to vote, where your polling place is, and who your clerk is. This site will help you confirm your polling place and provide links to update your voter information or register for the upcoming election. If you’re living in Ypsilanti for the school year but want your vote to count from home, absentee voting is an excellent option that won’t interfere with classes. Students who would like to vote in Ypsilanti have the option to vote at the Honors College building this year. Oct. 21 is the last day to register online, and after the 21, voters will have to register in person.

Using voter guides can help you quickly learn the basics about what will be on your ballot, but doing your own research is essential to ensure that your contribution to democracy is serving you and your community in the best way possible. Stay informed and make your voice heard!