The Eastern Echo Monday, Oct. 28, 2024 | Print Archive

soccer

The Eastern Eagles soccer team strikes again securing a 1-0 victory

The Eastern Michigan soccer team had a home-field victory on Sunday, Oct. 27, against Kent State. They had scored one goal in the beginning, and although they had many more opportunities, they would finish the game proudly with a score of 1-0. This win took work for the Eagles' players. Kent State's record was intimidating, but at the end of the game, the Eagles had fought hard and left with a victory. 

Eastern had come into the game with a lot of pressure and determination. They had attacked the ball aggressively while containing composure. The effort paid off when they scored in the 4th minute into the game. The goal had been set up beautifully by the attacking players. Meagan Lukowski (Bay City, Michigan/ Bay City) had kicked a ground ball between two Kent State players, which was received on the run by senior Maddie O’Farrell (Haslett, Michigan/ Lansing Catholic). O’Farrell’s momentum had caused her to have a breakaway. She shot the ball into the left corner, getting us the lead. 

The defensive players had stepped up again and added an eighth shutout to their season's stats. The ball had been cleared several times from the box, which would have resulted in a goal if they hadn’t. The defense had also stepped up to support the offense with a preventative passing option. They had done their job well, but a couple of unlucky passes and first touches had caused Kent State to have some shots on goal. Luckily, Goalie Ella Holland (Dunwoody, Georgia/ Dunwoody) continued showing outstanding abilities. She had saved shots on goal that were exceptionally well placed by Kent State forwards. 

At the end of the game, all of Kent State's players, including their goalie, pressed. This allowed them to take a shot on goal with 37 seconds left. It was headed into the net under the top post when Holland jumped and barely tipped it over, which secured us the win. 

Eastern Michigan will play Akron, Ohio, on Thursday, Oct. 31, at 4 p.m., for its final game before the MAC tournament quarter-finals. Akron has a 5-8-4 record. For more updates on Eastern Michigan soccer and other sports, follow The Eastern Echo.