The Eastern Echo Saturday, Oct. 26, 2024 | Print Archive

W Golf

Savannah De Bock leads women’s golf to EMU record in Hawaii

The Eagles set a new school record with a total score of 879, edging past the previous record by a single stroke

Savannah De Bock (Ecaussinnes-d’enghien, Belgium/Institut de l’Enfant-Jésus-Lycée/Georgia) shined once more in the Rainbow Wahine Invitational held at the Kapolei Golf Course in Kapolei, Hawaii.

The rest of the Eastern Michigan women’s golf team were no slouches either - five of her teammates putting in career-low 54-hole scores to help the program put up an 879 total score, besting their previous record total of 880 set in 2015. 

De Bock led the way by finishing in the top 10 for the fourth consecutive event, shooting a five-under 211 (72-71-68) and continuing to prove why she’s the 53rd ranked player in the NCAA, her score also ranking as the second best in program history tied with Anna Watson who set the mark last year, but still behind her own record mark of 204 posted last month. 

Mariana Vega (Barranquilla, Columbia/Colegio Karl C. Parrish) and Riley Kim (Aldie, Virginia/Lightridge) also managed to place in the top 50 on the leaderboard, Vega coming in a tie for 32nd by shooting a 3-over 219 (76-71-72). In contrast, Kim put in a tie for 42nd, boasting a 6-over 222 (79-72-71) mark. 

Amaya Melendez (Ann Arbor, Michigan/Pioneer), Julianna Go (San Juan, Philippines/St. Jude Catholic School/King and Maddysun Beeching (Camberley, Surrey, England/Millfield School) also matched their season or career-best marks during the tournament, each placing within the top 100 on the final leaderboard and being vital contributors in helping the team beat the school above record. 

The Eagles as a whole finished 11th out of 15 schools in the tournament with their 879 score but continued improving in each of the three rounds with 300, 290, and 289 and a final tally of 15-over. 

Eastern Michigan wraps up its fall campaign next week, traveling to the Hurricane Invitational on Oct. 28 and 29, hosted by the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida. For more updates on Eastern Michigan golf and other sports, follow The Eastern Echo.