The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024 | Print Archive

menendezbrothers.jpg

Review: 'The Menendez Brothers Documentary' is shocking and emotional

"The Menendez Brothers Documentary" was released to Netflix on Oct. 7. The documentary, directed by Alejandro Hartmann, was full of heartbreaking truths about the story of how the Menendez brothers, Erik and Lyle, murdered their parents. It was one of the most significant trials broadcasted.

This documentary discusses the real reason behind why the Menendez brothers murdered their parents in 1989. There are explanations from both Erik and Lyle while they are still in prison today. This documentary is from their perspective, with other guests appearing, such as the prosecutor and jurors from the original case. It takes the audience back to 1989 by showing news clips speaking on the trial. The crime scene was shown during the actual trial as well, which involved the heartbreaking story of the sexual abuse that Erik and Lyle endured from their father.

Highs

The highlight of this documentary was the non-biased aspect. It showed the prosecutor's view and news outlets that believed the brothers did this in cold blood. At the same time, the original jurors and witnesses believed that these brothers suffered from sexual abuse and that it was imperfect self-defense. Imperfect self-defense, as explained in the film, is that the brothers thought that they were in honest danger. This can bring down a count to a felony of voluntary manslaughter.

Another highlight is how the film was put together in chronological order. It started with how the brothers came into their family and lifestyle. The director captured the true essence of the night of the murder in 1989. Pictures were presented along with recordings from the police officers that night.

The aspect of inserting the defense attorneys speaking with Erik and Lyle brought an emphasis on the situation. Having the trial in the documentary was significant, considering how Erik and Lyle both went on the stand to explain the abuse they endured from their father.

Lows

There were minimal lows when it came to this documentary. The only low was how the prosecutor was not sympathetic towards the brothers. Regardless of whether they were abused or not, she didn’t accept their version of the event on how they viewed it. She seemed biased in her own opinion and was passive-aggressive in the interview.

Verdict

"The Menendez Brothers Documentary" is worth watching, considering it is informative and shows the truth about the Menendez brothers. These brothers currently filed a petition for a habeas corpus appeal to have a retrial due to the biased judge and jury.

Rating: 9 out of 10.

Mariam Fakhreddine is a film and theater reviewer for The Eastern Echo. She has worked as a news and features reporter for The Echo for two years.