The Eastern Echo Thursday, Oct. 17, 2024 | Print Archive

A rectangular black sign is held in the air, in bright green, bold letters is the slogan "shelter not police'.

Protestors clash over Ypsilanti City Council resolution that aims to improve downtown safety

Around a hundred people gathered inside and outside of Ypsilanti City Hall for the Oct. 15 City Council meeting.

Most were there regarding Resolution 240. According to the City Council Agenda packet, this resolution proposes, “Directing the city manager to use all appropriate resources, including police presence, to ensure a safe downtown for all residents, visitors, and business owners; and that these resources shall be used to uphold and respect the civil rights of all residents, visitors, and business owners.”

Citizens both in favor and against the resolution made their voices heard during the public comment, which lasted over an hour. Some argued that the resolution was anti-houseless, racist and does not address the root of the issues. Others argued that they feel unsafe in Ypsilanti and have been harmed, thus police would create a more secure downtown. 

Mayor Brown opened the public comment with a statement about how proud she is to be from Ypsilanti and the passion that the citizens have for their community. She went on to add that there are diverse perspectives on issues, which need to be discussed with respect and civility. Council members nodded in agreement as she said the council wanted to hear from everyone and not have to cut the meeting short like the one on Oct. 1. 

During the public comment, protesting started. There were drummers outside, obstructing the ability to hear inside the meeting, which continued throughout public comment. Signs read “Paid agitators GTFO of Ypsi,” “Ypsi Govt: get back to business,” and “Shelter not police.” 

There were chants such as “House the people tax the landlords” and “Bathrooms not cops.” As people went to the podium to speak, there was frequent shouts and discussion overtop, obscuring their words.

Outside, the drumming grew louder as more people gathered. Some started to hit the windows with their fists and drum sticks. Around a dozen cops, including two Washtenaw County Sheriffs.

The council discussed among themselves and with the audience over whether or not to move the public comment to the end, they decided not to. Several audience members were upset over the police presence and said the police were not letting people in. The council said that, in order to come in, which they encouraged people to do, instruments had to be left outside. 

In the end, Resolution 240 was tabled. After over an hour of discussion, the council unanimously decided to table the vote on the resolution to an undetermined date after they hold a work session in December. 

While much of the attention was on this decision, several other resolutions were passed and there was a budget presentation. 

Rheagan Basabica, the city’s finance director/treasurer, gave the presentation, with drums beating in the background. It showed that the Ypsilanti general fund, the primary operating fund, had an almost $11,000 surplus. Revenue was around $200,000 higher than budgeted and expenditures were a little over a million dollars less than budgeted. This has resulted in a $1.4 million surplus. 

The Major Street fund is mostly used for DPS salaries and benefits and construction and maintenance for major streets. This had a $205,000 shortfall, $1.6 million less than budgeted. The Public Safety fund comes from the county mental health millage and is mainly used to support other funds. This had a $95,000 surplus, which was recommended to be transferred to the Motorpool fund for a replacement fire truck used in multiple story building fires. 

The Garbage fund, mainly used for the garbage collection contract, ended with an $86,000 surplus. However, Basabica noted in this presentation that $360,000 of the fund was subsidized from the general fund. He said that it is recommended the council find other revenue sources such as increasing this tax or cut back on spending possibly via a different garbage collection contract. 

The Capital Improvement fund, mainly used for projects and city facility maintenance, was $1.6 million lower in spending than budgeted. Basabica said this is because of the timing of many of the projects coming at the end of the fiscal year and that most of this money has been used. 

The Motorpool fund is mostly used for the purchasing and maintenance of city vehicles. This had a $91,000 surplus. Basabica said that it is likely much of this money will be spent soon as many vehicles will need to be replaced in the coming years.

The last fund discussed was the Fire and Police Pension fund. The city put $2.2 million in the fund and was awarded a $5.8 million grant from the state. This is beneficial but this fund is not yet fully funded and the city is hoping to have it fully funded in the coming years. 

After this presentation, the council decided to move $1.2 million into the budget stabilization fund, also called the rainy day fund. This decision was postponed from the Sept. 17 meeting. Council members discussed that this was the best option for the money as the overall budget is expected to decrease in coming years and it safeguards any outside elements that may further harm the city’s economy.

The council unanimously approved a one-year contract with Blue Cross Blue Shield for certain city employees and retirees. This new contract has a small increase for health insurance and HSA. 

Also approved were five resolutions relating to waste management and disposal, all unanimous decisions.

Resolution 238 approved a proposed modification to Section 5 of the membership agreement with Washtenaw Regional Resource Management Authority, a waste authority aimed at increasing the quantity of high quality recycling in member communities. According to the City Council Agenda packet, this is to “explore the possibility of issuing a joint RFP for solid waste collection and binding the city to that contract.”

Resolution 237 approved an agreement to have Recycle Ann Arbor provide processing materials and marketing services for the city. The council decided that this will be at the flat rate option offered by the company of $75 a ton. This rate is more predictable and less than $1,000 different per year compared to the revenue sharing option.

Resolution 225 approved a service agreement with Stevens Disposal, the current city contractor. This is for the company to provide roll-off dumpster services to the Department of Public Works. Council member Evan Sweet said that several proposals were put in and reviewed but Stevens Disposal was the lowest qualified proposal. 

Resolution 224 approved an 18-month janitorial contract extension with RNA Facilities Management of Ann Arbor. This brought with it a 3% increase in cost. 

Resolution 219 approved a new intergovernmental agreement between the city and the DDA. 

Unanimously accepted, as well, was the State of Michigan $3 million grant, no less than $1 million of which must be used to improve the Frog Island Parking Lot. This is to improve the lot’s infrastructure. The rest can be put towards the Department of Public Works infrastructure improvements. 

Closing out the resolutions was two appointments. Colleen Kennedy was unanimously appointed to the Downtown Development Authority. She was endorsed by Mayor Brown and council member Sweet. Alexander Monroe was appointed to the Ypsilanti Police Advisory Commission in a 4-2 vote, with council members Simmons and King voting no. He was endorsed by council members Tooson and Sweet. 

As the night came to a close, this final resolution brought several people up for the second public comment opportunity. Many talked about concerns with both of these commission appointments as well as previous ones. 

The next city council meeting will be held the Tuesday after election day, Nov. 12.