The Eastern Echo Thursday, Oct. 17, 2024 | Print Archive

Halloween.jpg

Opinion: 5 classic movies to watch this Halloween

Halloween is the perfect combination of excitement and fear. These movies are the most popular movies specifically the older Halloween movies.

Halloween is almost here, so it's time to prepare your cozy blankets and watch some classic Halloween movies. Spooky season is the best time to watch all the classic Halloween movies that never get old. These classic Halloween films were chosen based on the genre horror.

1. Halloween (1978)

The grossing profit of $70 million.

This movie is as classic as it can get. "Halloween" takes place in Haddonfield, Illinois, in 1977.  It follows Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis), a high school babysitter struggling to fit into the teenage cliche of drinking, partying, smoking, etc. She is blindsided by Michael Myers, a serial killer who has been institutionalized since the age of 15 for murdering his sister. The plot unfolds in an edge-of-your-seat way that engages the audience.

2. Scream (1996)

The grossing profit of $173 million.

This Halloween film follows main character, Sidney Prescott, played by Neve Campbell, whose mother died from being murdered, leaving her highly vulnerable. As she's going about her day-to-day life, she starts experiencing strange phone calls from a mystery man. This man is a cold-blooded killer who stalks his victims and forcefully puts them through trivial games over the phone with their lives on the line. She fights to survive against this madman while her friends and loved ones are ultimately thrown into the mix.

3. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

The grossing profit is $30 million.

A poster for Tobe Hooper's 1974 horror film 'The Texas Chain Saw Massacre' starring Gunnar Hansen. (Photo by Movie Poster Image Art/Getty Images)

This is truly a hardcore, gory film. It sets off with five friends going on an innocent road trip through Texas when stumbling across a deserted house, they decide to investigate. This essentially turns into an intense blood-curdling cat-and-mouse chase between these five friends and a 6-foot-5 chainsaw-wielding maniac who does not know right from wrong. Viewer discretion is advised if you decide to watch this film and a night of lost sleep as it will give you a good scare just in time for Halloween.

4. IT (2017)

The grossing profit of $207 million.

Based on Stephen King's best-selling horror novel, this film takes place in 1989 when a group of kids band together and attempt to destroy an ancient shape-shifting demon, played by Bill Skarsgård, who disguises itself as a clown to lure and prey on children. This newer iteration of this horror story features creepier special effects and louder sounds to get you scared just in time for October.

5. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

The grossing profit of $57 million.

This film is often included in any Halloween horror movie marathon. Robert Englund plays Freddy Kruger, a demon who hops in and out of his victims' dreams, torturing them and causing them to go insane until ultimately killing them. The movie features many disturbing dream sequences and terrifying makeup.

Mariam Fakhreddine is a film and theater reviewer for The Eastern Echo. She has worked as a news and features reporter for The Echo for two years.