The Eastern Echo Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024 | Print Archive

Employee_Allison_and_Daniel.jpg

Nu2u Again resale shop expands to Ypsilanti

Nu2u Again is the next resale shop to come into Ypsilanti. Nu2u is a nonprofit resale shop whose mission is to create employment opportunities for people with disabilities.

Nu2u had their official grand opening on Monday Sept. 6 from 2-6 p.m., and the store was busy with activity. Shoppers were browsing the current stock of items throughout the store, and a small line formed near the cash registers.

One of the cashiers happened to be the Allison Bradley, vice president of Nu2u Again. She was hard at work and helping out at the registers to help with the line. 

Her husband, Daniel Bradley, is the president of Nu2u Again. Daniel started working for the resale shop six years ago at the Saline location, and Allison started working there around three years ago.

Nu2u Again makes it a point to work with the community since they want to provide employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities.

"The beauty of an organization like ours is a disability can come at anytime. You know, you could be driving home one night and get into an accident, and you could become physically disabled. We want to help across all races, religions, whatever, any factor we want to just help out, it doesn't matter. Because at the end of the day, anyone could have a disability and it breaks all the other barriers that other organizations may or may not [have]," Daniel said. 

Allison mentioned they had such good support from the community in Saline, and were eager to go to another community and build up that support again in Ypsilanti.

"In terms of Saline, we have a young adult program. They come four days a week over there and so they're the individuals that aged out of the school system age between 18 - 26," Daniel said. "So, they come four times a week getting those job skills, and helping them develop into being adults and being independent, and get that socialization and everything that comes with having a job."

They also have another program called Liberty Club. The club comes in once or twice a week and welcomes ages 26 and up. Nu2u donated to both in the past to help with funding, and other resources the might need. They also provide a scholarship in Saline every year to students that exemplify helping individuals with disabilities no matter their career interests. 

The resale shop has been a launching pad for individuals with disabilities to find other places of employment.

"We're getting to this point especially in Saline where we've been around for a while that a lot of our individuals with disabilities that have been there for quite a few years are starting to use this as a launching pad," Daniel said. "You know ... like they've gotten the confidence, they've gotten the job skills, they've gotten that application, and so now they find what they want to do by working with us and now they've been finding their roles in whatever they choose."

The couple shared their enthusiasm for joining the Ypsilanti community.

"So figuring out this community, we did join the chamber of commerce for this community. So that's a good way to make connections and just get to know people," Allison said. "We're definitely going to go to Ypsilanti schools which are close by; we're definitely going to reach out to them and try and see if we can have a relationship like we do [in Saline]."

Nu2u Again has a Facebook page, where they post a different sale every week. They also have everyday sales which are continuous. You can also look at their website if you're interested in learning more. 

The donation process is also simple for those interested in donating to Nu2u.

"Just come around the back of the store, and just ring the bell and we'll help you out. It's as simple as that," Daniel said.

Nu2u partners with other organizations as well.

"Another local organization around here we help is House Intel Home. So, they help with low income families finding housing in the area and so a lot of the stuff that sits on the floor for a while that no one wants to purchase, we'll just give them to help fill the houses," Daniel said.

Donations can be made anytime between the hours of 11 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Mondays through Friday, or noon to 4:30 p.m. on Saturdays.