The Eastern Echo Thursday, Oct. 24, 2024 | Print Archive

Outside Ypsilanti Freighthouse

Local Ypsilanti historian guides community through spooky walking tour

Stefan Szumko, local historian and longtime resident of Washtenaw County, will be taking participants through a spooky walking tour of Depot Town on Saturday, Oct. 19 at 10 a.m., and Sunday, Oct. 20 at 2 p.m.

The guided tour, with the theme “Depot Town’s catastrophes, triumphs, and more,” will take participants through downtown to different landmarks, from historic homes to abandoned factories. As they do so, Szumko will tell some of the city’s haunting history, like its motorcycle gangs, unsolved murders, gambling dens, and more.

Participants in this tour will go to places such as the Thompson building, which has an extensive history, including it being both a Civil War barrack and the site of a large fire in 2009. They will also go to a few places that are rumored to be haunted, such as the Freighthouse Museum and the Norris House.

On the triumph side of the tour, participants will accompany Szumko to the house where the famed Rosie the Riveter lived.

This tour is part of a monthly series Szumko began last year for the Ypsilanti Bicentennial. A former teacher for 20 years, he would frequently lead nature walks at the Leslie Science Nature Center, educating local kids on different aspects of their outside community.

“I used to do nature hikes at the Nature Center, taking kids out into the woods, looking at things they wouldn't see normally. So I'm kinda doing the same thing with the buildings and architecture here, and the history of the place,” Szumko said.

These tours spring from a desire to share the interesting history of Ypsilanti with his community. After delving into the history of his own home, which will also be a spot on the tour, he became intrigued by the history of the neighborhoods surrounding Depot Town. 

“It’s really fascinating [seeing] who did what, when, how did the town become what it is today,” Szumko said.

Szumko also hosts a variety of other tours around Ypsilanti, including a tour of Ypsi’s historic district, art works, and its architecture. These tours happen once a month and vary in length from 1.5 to 7 miles.

Hosting these tours has given Szumko the opportunity to not only share his love for the town, but continue learning about his surroundings. He said his favorite part of the tour goes back to its essence — just being out in the community.

“Looking at all the architecture and the details, I always look for something new each time. It’s really hard to pick one thing, but I do enjoy all of it,” Szumko said.

Throughout the guided tours, Szumko hopes to bring new light to the potentially overlooked parts of the community. Educating people on the town's history, he believes, will prepare them for its future.

“If you share stories, people find connection to the place- they’ll appreciate where they're at a little more. More connection to the past, and hopefully building for the future,” Szumko said.

For more information on attending one of Szumko’s tours, email him at slugwhisperer@gmail.com, or go to the YpsiReal website and search Guided Tours.