The Eastern Echo Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024 | Print Archive

Savannah De Bock

EMU's Savannah De Bock earns MAC Golfer of the Week Honors

The golf seasons at Eastern Michigan University are in full swing and Savannah De Bock (Ecaussinnes-d'enghien, Belgium) has earned golfer of the week honors in the Mid-American Conference for Sept. 23-29, 2024.

The sophomore shot rounds of 70-65-69 (204) and a total of -12 at the Red Sky Classic to take home the honors. Additionally, De Bock’s total led all individual scorers at the event. The particular performance is her first win at Eastern Michigan.

The Belgium native bested the field by three strokes. Before coming to Eastern Michigan, De Bock played one season at the University of Georgia. She was on the All-Freshman team there last golf season.

Shooting a total of -12 over the three days, De Bock had an 18-hole day to remember in the second round. She shot a 65, which was crucial to her winning. The 65 also sets a school record for Eastern Michigan's scoring. 

The course they played was the Fazio Course at the Red Sky Ranch and Golf Club, which is a par-72. De Bock still shot under par in the other two rounds.

De Bock's golfer of the week honor is the first time an EMU golfer has received this honor in two years since Alyssa DiMarcantonio received the award in 2022. 

In the other tournament that the Eastern Michigan women’s golf program has played this fall, the Leadership and Golf Invitational, De Bock also led Eastern Michigan, notching a two-under-par 214 throughout three rounds. She tied for eighth place individually in the tournament at the long and arduous Chambers Bay, which hosted the men’s U.S. Open in 2015. 

De Bock will look to improve upon her season when Eastern Michigan goes to the Sunflower State to play at the Marilynn Smith Sunflower Invitational hosted by the University of Kansas in Lawrence.