The Eastern Echo Friday, Oct. 11, 2024 | Print Archive

Llewellyn

EMU’s defensive back Bryce Llewellyn and his father build Scotchy Jamaican Grill

Can you balance football and running a business? See how EMU's Bryce Llewellyn, co-founder of Scotchy Jamaican Grill, does it all.

As Eastern Michigan University football prepares to take on Miami (Ohio) in a key MAC showdown, junior defensive back Bryce Llewellyn prepares for more than game day.

Off the field, Llewellyn is balancing the demands of a student-athlete with his budding entrepreneurial journey. He co-founded Scotchy Jamaican Grill alongside his father, a restaurant concept bringing authentic Jamaican cuisine to the Midwest. Now, Llewellyn plans to bring the flavors and vibe of Scotchy Jamaican Grill to Ypsilanti.

"I have always loved cooking. I would watch my mom, dad and family members cook," Bryce said.

His love for food led him to start a food prep business at Charleston Southern University, his previous school, where he sold meals to fellow students. This experience laid the foundation for his current venture.

"It was my first successful attempt at working in the food industry, and it was fun," Bryce said.

Bryce’s role at Scotchy Jamaican Grill is multifaceted. He assists with marketing social media and even helps his father with cooking when he’s back in Indianapolis.

"Whenever I am home, I serve as a chef, help my father prep for events, and cook," Bryce said.

Despite his busy schedule as a student and football player, Bryce is committed to growing the business alongside his father.

"My father, who is the driving force behind Scotchy Jamaican Grill, handles many of the restaurant's day-to-day operations, and I support him when he needs me."

Marlon Llewellyn, Bryce's father, shared that the inspiration for Scotchy Jamaican Grill came from a sermon at Heartland Church in Fishers, Indiana.

"God told me, 'I am not going to make you leave this earth without trying everything I want you to try,'" Marlon said.

The idea for the restaurant had been in his journal since 2021, and it was initially named Blossom’s Jamaican Restaurant in honor of his late mother, Carol "Blossom" Campbell.

“It is no coincidence; this is the 10th anniversary since Blossom passed away,” Marlon said.

Llewellyn

Marlon renamed the restaurant Scotchy Jamaican Grill to celebrate a critical ingredient in Jamaican cuisine: the Scotch bonnet pepper.

Bryce was integral to developing the restaurant’s brand, even coming up with the tagline 'Catch Ah Vibe,' which Bryce says encapsulates the energy and atmosphere they aim to create.

“Imagine going to your favorite music concert.. and the beat of your favorite song starts blasting...  Everyone is happy and having fun singing each verse—you just caught a vibe! This is the same energy when our family gets together. It is a vibe! Scotchy Jamaican Grill is a vibe around great food and people,” Bryce.

The restaurant is more than just about food; it’s about creating a lively, communal atmosphere.

Balancing his commitments as a football player and a business owner is no easy task, but Bryce has found a rhythm.

"All my time is devoted to my responsibility as a student and, secondly, an athlete at EMU…but I’m excited about the future of Scotchy," Bryce said.

One of Bryce’s key initiatives is to bring the restaurant to Ypsilanti by hosting pop-ups and eventually opening a fast-casual location near EMU.

"Our goal is to work towards opening 100 Scotchy Jamaican Grill fast-casual restaurants nationwide and help spread the word about Scotchy's authentic Jamaican food and good vibes. I will host weekly pop-ups in Ypsilanti to showcase Scotchy's," Bryce said.

Marlon, a seasoned educational leader, credits his experience as a mentor and educator, helping him guide Bryce through the restaurant's development.

"As an educator, I’ve learned the importance of empathy and clear communication…these skills have translated well into launching Scotchy Jamaican Grill and mentoring Bryce in this venture," Marlon said.

He likens the father-son partnership to a dynamic duo, drawing parallels with LeBron James and his son, Bronny. Still, instead of basketball, it is a Jamaican restaurant with authentic 24-hour marinated jerk chicken, pork, and fried festivals.

The Llewellyn's focus on more than just serving food; they want to disrupt the fast-casual dining model.

"Consumers seek healthier, ethnic-inspired options," Marlon said. Scotchy Jamaican Grill emphasizes fresh, locally sourced ingredients and has embraced technology with pre-ordering and online delivery options to enhance the customer experience.

Bryce’s entrepreneurial spirit is already making waves among his peers at EMU.

"Food is about bringing people together, and my teammates are willing participants in my cooking ability. They love my food and encouraged me to start providing meals and doing pop-ups at Eastern Michigan University. Their positive response has been overwhelming," Bryce said.

As the EMU football team prepares for its next game against Miami, Ohio, Bryce will focus on winning on the field while building a restaurant empire. His journey as a student-athlete and entrepreneur exemplifies how EMU inspires leadership and entrepreneurship. For Bryce, it's just the beginning of something much bigger.

"The sky is truly the limit," Bryce said.

With their shared vision of opening 100 locations by 2030, the Llewellyn's are setting the foundation for what could be a nationally recognized brand, all while keeping the authentic flavors and rich legacy of their Jamaican roots at the forefront.