The Eastern Echo Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

Ryland and Sow ROH

EMU inducts Sow and Ryland into football Ring of Honor

Two new members were inducted into the Ring of Honor at Rynearson Stadium. The two honorees include Sidy Sow (Bromont, Quebec/J-H Leclerc-Champlain/Lennoxville) and Chad Ryland (Lebanon, Pennsylvania/Cedar Crest).

To be accepted into the Ring of Honor, Eastern Michigan University alumni must have either All-American honors from any big institution or have played in the NFL.

The Ring of Honor ceremony was presented on Hall of Fame day during EMU’s football game against St. Francis on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024, at Rynearson Stadium.

Ryland and Sow join a total of 52 EMU Alumni whose names are placed along the Ring of Honor, with athletic alums dating back to 1930. The Ring of Honor was first introduced at Rynearson Stadium in 2003 and has been a growing tradition among EMU Athletic Alumni since.

Sidy Sow was selected in the fourth round of last year’s NFL draft and the New England Patriots picked him up. Sow is one of 30 EMU football alumni to be picked up in the NFL. While at EMU, he played in 11 out of 13 games during his first year and during that time he was moved to being a left guard. Sow wildly succeeded at EMU, earning all-MAC honors in 2021 and 2022. Sow had been expected to start for the Patriots in the 2024 season, but an injury has prevented him from doing so this year.

Chad Ryland was also picked up in the NFL draft by the New England Patriots and was five picks behind Sow. While at EMU, Ryland made 56 field goals. He holds the record for most field goals in EMU’s history and scored 309 points in his career. After graduating from EMU, Ryland transferred to the University of Maryland. While on the Patriots, Ryland attempted 16 goals in his NFL career and made a 56-yarder long field goal.