The Eastern Echo Monday, Oct. 21, 2024 | Print Archive

Pat O'Conner

EMU alum Pat O'Connor makes impact in first game with Lions

Pat O’Connor, a former Eastern Michigan University football standout, made his debut for the Detroit Lions on Sunday, contributing to their 31-29 victory over the Minnesota Vikings. This was O’Connor’s first game with the Lions after being signed from the practice squad to the active roster, stepping up for a defense hit hard by injuries, including the loss of Aidan Hutchinson.

In his first game with the team, O'Connor recorded two assisted tackles, providing valuable depth for the defensive line. Although he didn't log a sack or force a fumble, his presence helped stabilize a Lions defense facing tough opposition.

O’Connor’s path to this moment has been marked by perseverance and hard work. As a communication major at EMU, he served as a team captain and earned First Team All-MAC honors in 2014. That season, he led the conference with 7.5 sacks and ranked fourth in tackles-for-loss, showcasing his skills as one of the top defensive linemen in the league.

Despite sitting out the 2015 season due to injury, O’Connor returned strong, earning accolades and recognition for his leadership and performance. His contributions at EMU also earned him the prestigious John E. Borowiec Most Valuable Defensive Player Award twice, solidifying his reputation as a defensive force.

After a successful college career, O'Connor was drafted by the Lions in 2017 and spent most of his NFL career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he earned a Super Bowl ring. His promotion to the active roster with the Lions is a new chapter in his professional journey, offering both Detroit fans and EMU supporters the chance to cheer on one of their own.

As the Lions push forward through a challenging season, O’Connor’s efforts will be key as he looks to continue making an impact on the field.