The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2024 | Print Archive

Eastern Michigan vs. Miami Ohio 6

Eastern Michigan Eagles gear up for homecoming game against CMU

96th Homecoming Game: Eagles Set to Ignite Rynearson Stadium

This Saturday, October 19, the Eastern Michigan University Eagles will face off against their longtime rival, the Central Michigan University (CMU) Chippewas, in a highly anticipated Homecoming clash at Rynearson Stadium. The 96th Homecoming game in EMU history will kick off at 2 p.m., streamed live on ESPN+ and broadcast locally on WEMU (89.1 FM).

EMU and CMU are eager to bounce back after tough losses in their last Mid-American Conference (MAC) matchups. EMU suffered a 38-14 home defeat to Miami University, while CMU fell short to Ohio University, 27-25. Both teams hold 1-1 records in MAC play, so the stakes are high for this crucial in-state rivalry game.

“This is part one of a two-part series for the Michigan MAC. It's a really big deal, and we know what it's like to have it, and we know what it's like not to have it. And Central Michigan's part one, and you can’t think or do anything about part two, you know, until you play and handle part one,” said EMU Head Coach Chris Creighton. “And so obviously, it's a huge week for us playing a really good team. They just stormed back from 24-0 versus Ohio, ended up losing 25-27, and just really, really impressive comeback. And yeah… it's gonna be a battle.”

Creighton also expressed confidence in quarterback Cole Snyder's leadership and performance heading into the matchup against Central Michigan. "My thoughts are all positive. I'm glad he's on our team. He's a great leader. Again, he's not been rattled... passed the test with flying colors. He's just, he was unflappable, was a great leader, again, just saw the defense really clearly, and just has command over himself and his ability to make the ball go where he wants it to go.”

As part of Homecoming Week festivities, EMU will celebrate its vibrant history with events culminating in Saturday’s game. The Eagles are incredibly excited to welcome back E-Club Hall of Fame Coach Jim Harkema as the honorary coach for this year’s game. Harkema, who led EMU to its first-ever MAC title in 1987, will be honored on the field before the game and attend the team's alum breakfast. His legacy of success, including a 10-2 season and a victory in the California Bowl, continues to inspire EMU’s football program.

Saturday's game also kicks off the battle for the coveted Michigan MAC Trophy, a unique annual prize between EMU, CMU, and Western Michigan University. The trophy is awarded to the team with the best head-to-head record among the three schools. EMU has won the trophy five times, most recently in 2022, and hopes to reclaim it this season.

EMU enters the game with a 49-46-2 all-time Homecoming record, having won its last three games. However, Central Michigan has historically dominated the Eagles on Homecoming, winning 10 14 matchups between the teams. CMU last defeated EMU in a Homecoming game in 1998, taking a 26-23 overtime victory. EMU hasn’t beaten CMU at Homecoming since 1948, making this year's game an opportunity to end that long-standing drought.

Head Coach Chris Creighton is just one win away from setting a new school record for the most MAC victories in EMU history. Currently tied with Jim Harkema at 32 conference wins, a victory over Central Michigan would solidify Creighton’s legacy at the helm of EMU football.

As both teams fight to stay competitive in the MAC standings, EMU will aim to protect its home turf. They’ve won eight of their last ten games at Rynearson Stadium. With a win on Saturday, EMU would move to 3-1 at home this season, continuing a three-year streak of winning at least three home games under Creighton.

Fans are encouraged to join the festivities and cheer on the Eagles as they look to secure a Homecoming win, chase the Michigan MAC Trophy, and honor the legacy of Jim Harkema in what promises to be an exciting and emotional game. “[We want] all football alumni to show up this Saturday, October 19, for our homecoming game for Central Michigan. We want you here. We need you here. It's going to be a great day.” Creighton added.

For a full schedule of Homecoming events, visit emich.edu/homecoming.