The Eastern Echo Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024 | Print Archive

Soccer

Eagles drop soccer road match at Northern Illinois, 2-1

While the Eastern Michigan University soccer team struck first via a goal from redshirt sophomore Sophia Baumann towards the end of the first half, Northern Illinois responded with two second-half goals. It held on to claim victory over the Eagles, 2-1. 

Baumann's goal was her second of the season, her first of the month, with the assistance of Hannah Thompson (Schoolcraft, Michigan/Schoolcraft), and the third of her career. 

Three players on the Eagles logged entire shifts on the day, with redshirt sophomore Scarlett Thomas (Sterling Heights, Michigan/Utica Academy/Missouri), sophomore Sarah Van Euwen (Avon Lake, Ohio/Avon Lake), and senior Sam Lenaghan (Toronto, Ontario/Havergal College) all playing the full 90 minutes.

Northern Illinois outshot Eastern Michigan 7-2, with the team’s combined shots on goal being the lowest in a game played by the Eagles since these two schools clashed in a 2016 matchup. 

With the loss, the Eagles dropped to 5-6-4 (1-3-4 MAC) on the campaign, while Northern Illinois improved to 8-4-4 (2-3-3 MAC), Eastern Michigan still leading the all-time series 20-8-3. 

Next week, the Eagles will be back in action as they travel to Bowling Green for a match on Thursday, October 24, at 7 p.m. For more updates on Eastern Michigan soccer and other sports, follow The Eastern Echo.