The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024 | Print Archive

Homecoming Game 2024 6

Eagles aim for bowl eligibility as football team clashes with Zips

Fresh off a dramatic Homecoming victory, Eastern Michigan University’s football team heads to Akron, Ohio, on Saturday, Oct. 26, with bowl eligibility in sight. The Eagles (5-2, 2-1 MAC) are set to face the University of Akron Zips (1-6, 0-3 MAC) at 3:30 p.m. in a Mid-American Conference (MAC) showdown at InfoCision Stadium. A win would mark Eastern's sixth of the season, securing bowl eligibility and moving the team closer to a strong finish in league play.

The Mid-American Conference announced its weekly football awards on Oct. 21, recognizing two key Eastern Michigan University program players. Cole Snyder was named MAC Co-Offensive Player of the Week, and Jesús Gómez earned the title of MAC Co-Special Teams Player of the Week. Their outstanding performances were crucial in the Eagles’ thrilling comeback, overcoming an 18-point fourth-quarter deficit to secure a 38-34 victory against Central Michigan University during Homecoming in Ypsilanti.

Fans can catch the game on ESPN+, where Anthony Lima and Ryan Cavanaugh provide commentary. Local radio listeners can tune in to WEMU 89.1 FM or The Varsity Network app for play-by-play action from Tom Helmer, Rob Rubick, and Greg Steiner.

The Eagles enter this matchup with momentum, having overcome an 18-point deficit to defeat Central Michigan 38-34 on Oct. 19. Head Coach Chris Creighton reflected on the team’s resilience, saying, “The third quarter was close to disastrous for us, but our guys didn’t break, didn’t fold, stayed with it, and then had a spectacular fourth quarter, responding to the third quarter.”

Creighton also praised the standout performance of quarterback Cole Snyder, saying, "The quarterback gets a lot of credit and a lot of blame; that’s just the nature of the sport... It was a great day for him [Cole Snyder]... he never lessened his leadership." Snyder, too, emphasized the importance of fan support during their Homecoming win, saying, "Yeah, I mean, it was awesome to see Eagle Nation show up like that. You know, I haven't seen the stadium that packed... And I think that had a lot to do with us being able to stick together and persevere through a lot of the adversity."

In addition to Snyder’s leadership, Creighton highlighted the contributions of wide receivers Terry Lockett Jr. and Marcus Allen, stating, “Lockett had a number of really good games, and Marcus [Allen] has been steady throughout. And then this just happened to be a game where the ball found its way to Marcus, and he absolutely took advantage of it.” Now tied for second place in the MAC with a 2-1 record, Eastern Michigan looks to notch its third conference win of the season, giving the team its best MAC start since 2011.

A victory would also push the Eagles to 6-2 overall, earning them bowl eligibility for the fourth straight season. This achievement would be particularly special, as it would be the fastest route to bowl eligibility in EMU’s program history.

Akron’s Struggles
Conversely, Akron is seeking its first conference win of 2024. The Zips have struggled this season, going 1-6 overall and 0-3 in MAC play. However, Akron has traditionally been tough on their home field, and the Eagles must be on their guard to avoid any slip-ups.

Bowl Aspirations and Conference Dominance
A win for Eastern would place them among the MAC leaders in bowl appearances. Since 2016, EMU has made six bowl appearances, tying them with Ohio and Toledo for the most in the conference. Should the Eagles qualify for the postseason, it will be their seventh appearance under Head Coach Chris Creighton, a remarkable achievement in his 11-year tenure.

Recent History Favors the Eagles
EMU has dominated the recent history between the two teams, winning the last four meetings, including a thrilling 30-27 double-overtime victory over Akron last year. The Eagles will build on this success as they aim to clinch another win in Akron and secure their spot in the postseason.

Looking Ahead
As Eastern Michigan progresses toward a potential bowl game, they’ll aim to maintain their strong performance and lock in their place among the MAC’s elite. A win at Akron could be the key to making history, both in terms of bowl eligibility and in cementing EMU’s status as a top program in the conference.

Catch all the action on ESPN+ or local radio as the Eagles take on the Zips this Saturday in a pivotal game for both teams.