The Eastern Echo Friday, Oct. 11, 2024 | Print Archive

Delbert Mimms

Delbert Mimms III: journey from the ACC to the MAC

How did Delbert Mimms leap from the ACC to the MAC? His unexpected path from playing in one of the nation's top conferences to making waves at Eastern Michigan is a story worth following. Discover how this talented athlete's journey reshapes his career an

Eastern Michigan University running back Delbert Mimms, a transfer from North Carolina State (NC State), has quickly made an impact on and off the field since joining the Eagles.

After spending five seasons in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), Mimms has found a new home at Eastern Michigan, and his transition has been anything but ordinary.

Mimms has found the end zone five times through five games, including two scores against Kent State on September 28. As of October 5, he remains among the top scorers in the MAC, with his five rushing touchdowns ranking second behind only Jaden Nixon of Western Michigan.

His average of 6.0 points per game also ties him for third overall among non-kickers. When factoring in kickers, Mimms ranks tied for 10th in scoring per game, with teammate Jesús Gómez leading the way at 10.4 points per contest.

Mimms credits his former NC State teammate, wide receiver Porter Rooks, for guiding him to Eastern Michigan.

“I had a teammate from NC State that was already here, Porter Rooks, and just hearing from him, talking to him every day and also talking with the coaches every day, it was like, this is a good fit. And Porter and I are really good friends... so I knew when he called me, and he was like, ‘Hey, this is the place,’ I knew... I should look into it more,” Mimms said.

Having played 51 games at NC State, Mimms acknowledged that coming from a Power 5 school carries a certain level of expectation.

“Any time coming from a big-time school like the ACC ... (people) should have that expectation they should come in here and they should put on a show. They should show that ... ‘This is why he was in the Power Five,’” Mimms said.

Despite the pressure, Mimms has embraced his role as a leader in the Eagles’ running back room. As the oldest player, he’s taken on a mentorship role for the younger guys.

“Everybody calls me unc or pops,” Mimms said with a laugh. “They see me in practice; they see how hard I work ... so in practice, the young guys come up to me and just ask me, ‘Hey, what did you think on that inside run? What you think on my pass throw with my hands inside?’ I just try to give them my insights.”

Although it’s still early in the season, Mimms believes this team has yet to reach its full potential.

“We can be a lot better. I don’t even think we’ve scratched the surface yet ... there is no ceiling," Mimms said. "We can keep going.”

Mimms understands the importance of staying humble in a competitive conference like the Mid-American Conference (MAC). Having played against Ball State while at NC State, he knows MAC football is intense.

“The MAC is a four-quarter game, 60 minutes. You’ve got to play the whole game,” Mimms said.

Looking ahead to this weekend’s matchup against Miami University, the defending MAC champions, Mimms recognizes the challenge but remains confident.

“After seeing Miami [Ohio] lose to Toledo, I know they’re coming here with a chip on their shoulder ... we’ve got to come out, hit first, hit hard, and we’ve got to keep hitting," Mimms said.

As for his message to fans, Mimms has one explicit request.

“Come out, support. We’re the only game playing in Michigan this week ... If you love football, come to the Factory,” Mimms said.

With Mimms at the helm of the running back room and his leadership shining through, Eastern Michigan’s football team is set for an exciting season. Keep an eye on this senior transfer as he continues to make his mark in the MAC.