The Eastern Echo Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024 | Print Archive

Ypsi Writes

YpsiWrites announces 2024 Writers of Ypsilanti award winners

YpsiWrites, a non-profit that promotes and supports writers in Ypsilanti, has introduced the 2024 winners of their annual Writers of Ypsilanti program.

“These are individuals who use writing for important purposes,” the Director of EMU’s Office of Campus and Community Writing and Co-Founder of YpsiWrites, Ann Blakeslee said. “To advance community, communicate important ideas, and to share what they are passionate about with the community,”

The winners include Marc Arthur, Crystal Campbell, R.J. Fox, Monica Hickson, Bradley Kraft, Georgia Krieger, Ruth Mella, Emma Rodseth and Ameera Salman.

“It’s an honor to be recognized in your own community for something I spend so much of my passion and free time on,” Ann Arbor high school teacher, Fox said.

"Being a member of the 2024 cohort has encouraged me to stay connected with my writing throughout my busy life," Ypsilanti resident and employee at Ohio State University Center for Latin American Studies, Rodseth said.

Those interested can self-nominate or receive nominations to be selected for the interview process, EMU lecturer and Programs and Partnerships Director of YpsiWrites, Kristine Gatchel said.

“I’m honored to be a part of this group of writers and to even get nominated,” EMU student and Ypsilanti Youth Poet Laureate, Mella said. “It encourages me to go harder as a writer and learn new things,”

Members of the cohort who spoke with The Echo received nominations through social media, partners, and writing group facilitators.

Nominees were asked about the upcoming theme of YpsiWrites, “Sharing our stories,” and how they do this in their writing, Gatchel said.

“The theme is a mix of things to me,” Rodseth said. “Personal stories and history, identity, life paths and all of the ways those can be expressed.”

Though the winners’ stories were so different from each other, they shared the same overlap of passion and engagement for their community and writing, Gatchel said.

“I want to use this experience to encourage others to be creative and expressive,” Mella said.

“We really have a very diverse, engaged, fantastic group this year,” Gatchel said. “From the editor of The Echo to a local teacher, to someone who is newer to the area who started their own writing group.”

Members of the 2024 cohort embody the message of YpsiWrites with their close alignment to the non-profit group’s four pillars: community, advocacy, inclusivity, and support, Gatchel said.

“I want to give people a push to keep pursuing their writing dreams,” Fox said.

YpsiWrites is a community writing resource that provides workshops, resources, programs, events and activities for writers of all genres and ages.

Mella has been able to expand her knowledge about mental health awareness through an YpsiWrites workshop, she said.

“Students can participate in any aspect of our programming,” Blakeslee said.

Many YpsiWrites events are virtual to encourage participation from community members, according to Blakeslee and Gatchel.

“Campus is a part of the community, which means the community is a part of the campus,” Gatchel said.

While YpsiWrites is meant to be encompassing all of Ypsilanti and not just students, it is important to acknowledge the effect that EMU has had on the community, Gatchel said.

“At least four of the cohort are current Eastern students or alum,” Gatchel said.

YpsiWrites will be hosting their campus-based Writer’s Room on September 30.

The program also allows a space for those who didn’t originally believe that they could write, to feel comfortable and confident as writers, Blakeslee said.

“Complete strangers come together and they share really personal things because writing is personal for a lot of people,” said Blakeslee. “They are affirmed and validated in that.”