The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 | Print Archive

Ypsilanti Clock

EMU takes part in 3rd annual 'Explore Ypsi' gift card program

This year marks the third annual partnering between the Explore Ypsi gift card program and Eastern Michigan University. The event is all about getting university students to explore Ypsilanti and everything it has to offer. 

Through funding from Engage@EMU, GameAbove and the Ypsilanti Downtown Development Authority, students, staff and faculty can go to Boone Hall, Room 203, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, to receive their gift card.

The gift cards go towards 25 different businesses in the Ypsilanti area, including the Ypsilanti Farmers Market for the first time this year. However, it's not just restaurants and dining on the list, it's also hair care and hardware stores. 

A limited amount of gift cards will also be available at Swoop's Pantry. They will be given out at various events on campus throughout the semester. 

The goal of this partnership is to help those who get the gift cards, but also to support the community. With stores opening, closing, and moving so often it's important for the students to know what's right in their backyard. With the university being such a big part of the community, it's vital that the two stay connected. This partnership is a great way to strengthen that relationship. The students get a little extra money on the side and the businesses get more foot traffic.

Editor's note: this article and its headline have been updated to accurately reflect the funding partners of the "Explore Ypsi" gift card program.