The Eastern Echo Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 | Print Archive

Wiards Cider Mill

The Eastern Echo's guide to local fall festivities

Although the official first day of fall is still a little bit away, The Eastern Echo wanted to give its readers an early roundup of some of the nearby fall attractions opening up around Eastern Michigan University before the leaves truly begin to turn orange and crisp.

Most of the attractions in this list are within a 20 minute drive of campus and should provide something for everyone whether the goal is a relaxing afternoon, some fresh air and apple cider alongside a donut, a get-your-heart-pounding trip through a haunted house, or maybe a trip through a corn maze with a date. Please note that this list was made with no particular order in mind; this is not a ranking. Some of these businesses offer different services than the others, so there is simply a variety.

Wasem Fruit Farm

At 6580 Judd Road in Milan, Michigan, Wasem Fruit Farm is just south of Eastern and is a family owned U-pick Orchard that’s been operating since the early 1960s. The farm opened for the fall season Sept. 5 and operates from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday through Sunday. Wasem’s has u-pick raspberries, plums and flowers in addition to more than a dozen apple varieties. Wasem’s also has a regular market and store.

The farm makes it's own donuts fresh daily with blueberry, pumpkin and traditional cake batter varieties available, along with, of course, the Wasem Farm cider. According to the farm's website, the raspberry and plum picking season lasts until the end of September or early October. The farm then rotates to u-pick pumpkins and gourds in addition to the apple varieties. Wasem’s produce also is sold at the Ann Arbor Farmer’s Market year-round. The Ann Arbor market is open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays at 315 Detroit St.

Plum trees

Plum trees fill the fields at Wasem's Fruit Farm on Judd Road in Milan, Michigan, on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024. The farm also produces raspberries, apples and pumpkins.

Wiard’s Orchard

At 5565 Merritt Road in Ypsilanti Charter Township, Wiard’s Orchard isn’t exactly like some of the other orchards on the list. Wiard's is also a country fair. Offering tickets online only, Wiard’s Orchard Country Fair has everything from a petting zoo to hay rides and corn mazes, open Wednesday through Sunday. Tickets for weekdays start at $18 a person, with weekends (Saturday and Sunday) at $25.50 a person. These tickets get customers onto the grounds at Wiards to enjoy the shopping and a variety of attractions. Weekends and weekdays have some different events, so be sure to check the website ahead of time. However, things like apple picking and the petting zoo are open every day, though the apple picking requires you to purchase one of their containers/baskets, and you cannot bring your own.

Wiard’s also offers its “Night Terrors,” on weekend evenings, starting Sept. 21, turning the fairgrounds into a haunted attractions park Friday through Sunday night. Tickets for "Night Terrors" start at $34, but depend on what attraction and packages customers choose. (Be sure to check the Echo later as we round up the local haunted houses fright fans should be keeping an eye on this spooky season!) Wiard’s Country Fair is closed Monday, with the store (and donuts and cider) open Tuesday through Sunday.

Raspberries at Wasem's Farm

A ready to be picked raspberry, and one that still needs to ripen, hang from a bush at Wasem's Farm on Judd Road in Milan, Michigan, on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024. The farm also produces apples, pumpkins and plums.

Coleman’s Farm

A little farther than the other places on this list, Coleman’s is about a half hour south of Eastern at 12758 Jordan Road in Saline, Michigan. Coleman’s used to be a corn farm and maze, but retired the maze a few years ago. Today, the farm still has its own market selling mums, cider, donuts, and other various fresh items made on site.

On the donut menu, the farm offers five batter varieties including plain, pumpkin, chocolate, blueberry, and apple in a variety of glazes.

In addition to the market, Coleman’s has some farm animals, including goats, for visitors to pet and for photo opportunities. Pumpkin picking and hayrides also are available throughout the season, though farm managers recommend calling ahead because they generally have limited hours operating weekends only, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays.

Plymouth Orchards

Plymouth Orchards and Cider Mill, at 10685 Warren Road in Plymouth, Michigan, is a woman-owned orchard and farm business, offering fresh-made donuts and organic apple cider.

While they don’t offer u-pick options at this time, Plymouth Orchards has no entry fee and a few family friendly attractions that allow visitors to go on a hayride to the pumpkin patch or to visit the friendly farm animals.

The farm has a reputation for fresh-baked pies and the farm owners' family recipes for apple related products including applesauce. All of the farm produce is organic, and a wide variety of apples are available for purchase in addition to pre-made goods such as honey and jam.

Plymouth Orchards is open from 9 p.m. to 6 p.m. daily. On the opposite side of the same property is the Red Shed Market for those who wish to skip the cider mill portion of the orchard.

DeBuck’s Family Farm

At 50240 Martz Road in Belleville, DeBuck’s Family Farm opened Sept. 14 for its Fall Festival, which provides a type of fall environment. DeBuck’s is home to a corn maze, pumpkin patch, giant cornhole, and of course, more cider and donuts. A little more geared towards a family environment with younger kids, the farm boasts a large inflatable jump pad and other play places, such as the pirate ship and bubble station. On Saturday and Sunday, they run a pedal car track large enough for adults. DeBuck’s Fall Festival has a tiered operating schedule, beginning with just Saturdays and Sundays, then adding Fridays after two weeks, and by October the venue is open Thursday through Sunday, through near the end of the month.

Weekday hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with tickets costing just shy of $17, while weekend hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., with tickets just shy of $22.