The Eastern Echo Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 | Print Archive

Soccer Field

Taylor Clarke's EMU soccer team kicks off 2024 season with early success

Eastern Michigan University soccer has entered a new era under head coach Taylor Clarke, marking its best start since 1999. The Eagles, now 4-1 this season, have shown impressive early success, reflecting Clarke's strategic changes and passionate leadership.

Early Success and its Significance

The Eagles' journey to a 4-0 start was highlighted by a 1-0 victory over Purdue Fort Wayne on Aug. 29, thanks to senior Maddie O'Farrell's 17th-minute goal. This early success is not just a number for Clarke and his team but a testament to their hard work and dedication.

Clarke shared, "I think especially to the team. It means everything...for this program to be able to put themselves in that category...to know that our seniors are moving it forward...I think it means the world to them."

He emphasized that despite the absence of guaranteed outcomes, the team's commitment is now bearing fruit. Clarke’s emphasis on hard work and resilience has been a driving force, inspiring the players to continue striving for excellence.

Strategic Changes and Team Identity

One of Clarke's primary changes has been the team's mentality and approach to competition.

"The mentality has been the biggest piece...being people who compete every single day...using it as an opportunity to get better," Clarke noted.

The Eagles have adopted a style focused on controlling possession and creating high-quality chances rather than numerous, less effective shots. Clarke's strategy includes a high-pressing defense to regain possession quickly and capitalize on opportunities in the attacking half. These adjustments and a strong collective identity have contributed significantly to the team’s early successes.

Goals and Ambitions

Looking forward, Clarke has clear and ambitious goals for the team. "Our number one goal is to win every single game," he stated. While this might seem ambitious to some, Clarke believes that aiming high is essential for achieving greatness. The goal is not only to compete, but to inspire and engage fans, making them proud of the brand of soccer the Eagles display, especially at home.

Coaching Philosophy and Experience

Clarke brings a wealth of experience to Eastern Michigan, having previously coached at various institutions, including Carroll University, Bowling Green State University, and Ashland University. Compared to men's, his approach to coaching women’s soccer highlights a preference for the collective team spirit and the absence of ego issues.

Clarke remarked, "Coaching women is way more fun...it's much easier to talk about the we...There's a lot more belief in the collective."

His excitement about leading the EMU program stems from the team's passion and growth potential.

"The most exciting part about where we're at in the season is that I don't know if we're playing our best soccer yet," Clarke said.

This sentiment reflects his belief in the team's potential and his commitment to pushing them to achieve their best.

Future Vision

Looking ahead, Clarke envisions a dual focus for the program: providing an exceptional experience for student-athletes and competing for championships.

He emphasized, "We want to give people the best experience as a student-athlete...as well as build on who they are as a human being."

Clarke aims to balance competitive success with personal growth, ensuring players leave EMU with valuable experiences and skills for future endeavors.

As Clarke continues to shape the Eastern Michigan soccer program, his leadership and vision are already making a significant impact. With a solid start to the season and a clear roadmap for the future, the Eagles are poised to build on their early success and strive for more significant achievements in the coming months.

Up Next

The Eagles will regroup and return to action on Sept. 12 against Valparaiso University. After a brief break, Eastern Michigan looks to bounce back and build on their promising start to the season.