The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 | Print Archive

Ypsilanti Township Civic Center

Stan Eldridge wants to help Ypsilanti families stay in their homes

Stan Eldridge is up for re-election for Ypsilanti Township Treasurer in the upcoming Nov. 5 general election.

Eldridge has lived in Ypsilanti his entire life, is an alumnus of EMU, and served as township trustee from 2004 to 2020. In 2020, he was elected to become the township treasurer. 

During the Aug. 6 primary election, he ran against Steve Agdorny and won 79% of the vote. According to Washtenaw County’s unofficial candidate list for the general election, he is now running unopposed. 

Eldridge says his main goal for this coming year is to continue to make sure we’re informative.

For the first time in township history, a one-page informational letter was sent to residents with their tax statements explaining every tax they are being charged for. This is part of Eldridge’s goal to make operations clear. This has been and continues to be one of the major focuses of his platform. 

Another focus of his platform is continuing his work to make sure the treasurer's office as a whole is doing everything it can to keep residents in their homes.

He wants his office to be an open, welcoming place for all residents to come and bring suggestions and questions.

“We want to do everything we can to help residents figure out how to pay taxes, for it to be reasonable [for residents] to stay in their homes, and to bring stability to the community,” Eldridge said.

This issue matters to him because many receive their tax bill and believe the treasurer sets the tax rates.

"It’s not, it’s the township assessor, county assessor, or city assessor and we are simply bound to state law to collect those,” Eldridge said.

Being the township treasurer means serving as part of a group that moves the township in a positive direction and being fiscally responsible as to not overburden residents and businesses.

Eldridge is responsible for providing financial oversight and accountability to handle all assets and ensure the records are accurate. Every detail matters so there is no over or undercharging of residents.

“If we do it well, we find a way to do it better,” Eldridge said.

Eldridge’s favorite part of his job is being able to take as much action as he can to help fellow residents through trying times. He carries this passion with him into his job, as well as the values of honesty, integrity, transparency, and treating everyone with dignity.

He encourages all his staff members to adopt these values and give every person who comes into his office the utmost attention, compassion, and service they can. 

For more information about Stan Eldridge, you can visit the Treasurer’s Office section of ypsitownship.org. Contacting his office through email or phone calls is also encouraged. The email is treasurer.info@ypsitownship.org and the phone number is 734-544-4000.