The Eastern Echo Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 | Print Archive

uglies poster.jpg

Review: 'Uglies' is a hilariously atrocious, 2014-flavored fever dream

A Netflix original based on a young adult dystopian novel. The film followed a teenage girl in a world where plastic surgery is mandatory.

Despite the fact that young adult dystopian novels have not been in Vogue since the fourth "Hunger Games" film released in 2015, Netflix has attempted to release its own take on the long defunct genre with the movie "Uglies" on Sept. 13, 2024. 

Set in a futuristic, dystopian society where cosmetic surgery is mandatory, the film follows Tally Youngblood, a teenage girl awaiting her procedure — while learning devastating truths about her world that lead her to question everything.

Joey King starred as Tally and served as an executive producer. She previously worked with Netflix on “The Kissing Booth” films. "Uglies" was directed by McG, who is known for “Charlie’s Angels” (2000) and its 2003 sequel. "Uglies" is based on the 2005 novel of the same title by Scott Westerfeld.

High

For such an incompetent film, "Uglies" has a surprisingly sound premise. It aims to criticize unrealistic beauty standards and society's obsession with plastic surgery. Climate change is also an essential part of the film’s world-building. This gives the film plenty of potential to squander!

Lows

“I didn’t say you were perfect, you still got the family freckles.” This line completely destroys the message the film aims to convey about toxic beauty standards. This line comes from a rebel character who goes against the need to get cosmetic surgery. Why is it that even among the rebels, there is criticism of arbitrary beauty standards? For the record, freckles are beautiful. Moreover, the twist immediately after that line hammers the last nail in the theme's coffin.

The film’s critique of both beauty standards and climate change is not only shallow, but completely undercut by later twists that confuse the issues and remove them from the real world. The movie never truly disagrees with the assertion that certain arbitrary features are ugly; it simply gives other reasons to make the Pretties antagonistic. It also never shows the consequences of climate change or suggests ways that people can fight it. Simply stating a problem exists is not the same as actually engaging with it.

It is unfortunate the film wastes these themes because that was all it had going for it. If a film cannot be thematically good, it could at least be good otherwise. Pick a struggle! The film’s plot moves at such a fast pace that it barely registers as a plot. Furthermore, the entire cast seems to be phoning it in, leading to acting so bad the characters appear as if in an SNL skit of a bad young adult dystopian movie.

The special effects in particular are poor. Every single CGI background and element sticks out like a sore thumb, often poorly rendered and garishly designed. It would not be surprising if no physical sets were made for all scenes not set in the woods. Indeed, everything seems to have been filmed in a blank green room and hastily added in post production.

Verdict

Had “Uglies” been created in the heyday of its genre, it may have killed it sooner. Nevertheless, despite its genre being out of style, it would not have been impossible to make the movie work. After all, “The Hunger Games” is currently enjoying a renaissance thanks to last year’s film and a new novel on the way. However, “The Hunger Games” is enjoying that success because it is entertaining and filled with sharp commentary, giving the story timelessness. 

With how thoroughly bad it is and how out-dated young adult dystopia is, it remains a mystery as to why “Uglies” was ever made. The nonsensicalness of the movie being created leads to it being a bizarre experience, fever-dream-like in how it should not exist.

Rating: 1.5 out of 10

Frank Remski is a film and theater reviewer for the Eastern Echo. He is majoring in media studies and journalism and minoring in public relations. He has worked for The Echo since summer of 2023 and has written both news stories and opinion pieces.