The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 | Print Archive

Mason

Mason secures two silver medals at the 2024 Summer Paralympics

Former Eastern Michigan University track and field star Brittni Mason left her second Paralympic Games with two silver medals. Mason achieved notable results when competing in the T47 100m dash and T47 200m dash on Sept. 3 and Sept. 7, respectively, at the 2024 Summer Paralympics.

In the T47 100m dash on Sept. 3, Mason finished in second place at 12.10 seconds, earning her first silver medal of the 2024 Paralympic Games.

During the T47 200m dash on Sept. 7, Mason placed fourth with a time of 26.51 seconds. Despite this placement, her performance earned her a second silver medal in the Games.

With a total of five Paralympic medals, Mason is now recognized as the most decorated Olympian or Paralympian in Eastern Michigan University’s history. In 2020, she won two silver medals at the Tokyo Paralympics in the T47 100m and 200m events, and she was also awarded her first Paralympic gold medal in the 4x100m relay, making her the first to achieve this in Eastern Michigan records.

As a four-time Mid-American Conference (MAC) selection, Mason earned first-team honors four times and second-team honors once. In 2019, her 4x100m relay team won first place, setting a record at the MAC Outdoor Championships with a finish time of 45.04 seconds.

Mason also excelled beyond the track, receiving five academic All-MAC honors during her time as an Eagle. She was also presented with the MAC Distinguished Scholar Athlete award, highlighting the best of the All-MAC and Academic All-MAC honorees from each conference sport.

The Eastern Michigan Cross Country/Track and Field team will return to action on Friday, Sept. 20, hosted by Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Mich., at the George Dales Invitational.

To stay updated on the Women’s Cross Country/Track and Field team, follow them on social media at @EMUXC_TF and be sure to read more on The Eastern Echo.