The Eastern Echo Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024 | Print Archive

Nevaeh Ford Art 1

Local artist of the month: Nevaeh Ford

Nevaeh Ford is a sophomore at Eastern Michigan University studying fashion marketing and simulation, animation, and gaming.

“I grew up drawing, I would draw every day,” Ford said. “I got a drawing tablet for my home computer and then I moved to an iPad and I just kept drawing.”

As an artist, Ford focuses on digital drawing and character design and is most inspired by pop culture and the world around her. 

“I have done a lot of illustration, but I want to go more into character design with my major and minor,” Ford said. “I want to learn how to 3D model characters, and eventually design characters for video games.”

Additionally, Ford is the founder and president of Spectrum of Color, vice president of S.T.Y.L.E, and an EMU Campus Life coach.

“Last year, as a freshman, I didn’t really know anybody. Then, I went to EagleFest and joined S.T.Y.L.E. Everybody was super welcoming and I found the community that gave me the confidence to be myself on campus,” Ford said. “S.T.Y.L.E kickstarted everything here on campus for me.”

Ford’s role in S.T.Y.L.E played a part in the creation of Spectrum of Color and his involvement with Campus Life.

Desyree Nicole and STYLE

Nevaeh Ford and Kaia Tolu from S.T.Y.L.E interview Desyrée Nicole, EMU Basketball Alum, at a Q&A session, in the Student Center Auditorium on February 7. Nicole speaks with S.T.Y.L.E and the audience about her luxury menswear brand, TODD PATRICK, and her experience in the fashion industry.

“As a queer person of color, I saw the Black community at EMU thriving and I wanted to include a part of us [queer people] in that community.”

EMU’s Spectrum of Color plans to collaborate with other student organizations to create a safe space for queer people of color on campus.

“I’m really excited because it was a long process, but I think it’s going to pay off,” Ford said.

As a new Campus Life coach, Ford, along with the other coaches, hosted the terrarium building event, DreamSprout, and will host the upcoming event, Break Out of Your Bubble, on September 25 in the EMU Lakehouse.

View more of Ford’s art on Instagram, @nevxies, and keep up with Spectrum of Color and S.T.Y.L.E on Instagram, @color.emu and @style_emu.