The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 | Print Archive

Jesus Gomez

Jesús Gómez: EMU's record-breaking kicker and MAC Special Teams star

As the 2024 football season unfolds, Eastern Michigan University's Jesús Gómez is making headlines with a standout performance that has captivated fans and earned him a place in the Mid-American Conference spotlight. On Sept. 9, Gómez was named a co-recipient of the MAC Special Teams Player of the Week award following his electrifying display in the Eagles' game against the No. 25 University of Washington Huskies on Sept. 7.

In a game where every kick mattered, Gómez proved his mettle by nailing all three field goal attempts—one from a jaw-dropping 57 yards, another from 50 yards, and a third from 29 yards. This flawless performance secured the win for EMU and etched his name into the record books.

Gómez became the first kicker in EMU history to convert multiple field goals from 50+ yards in a single game. His 57-yard boot was particularly noteworthy, breaking the previous EMU record and surpassing kicks by Dylan Mulder and Chad Ryland, placing him atop the program's all-time list. To watch Jesús Gómez's record-breaking 57-yard kick, click here.

Reflecting on his performance, Gómez stated, “I mean, I feel really good, and it's all because of a team behind the team. Shout out to the trainers… We went through hell.”

He described the crucial 57-yard kick, saying, “Coach said it was Jesús and company, it's not just me. Like, I'll never be able to snap, then drop, kick it, and then make it. That's impossible; protection was perfect.”

On the sacrifices his family made, Gómez shared, “We can go back three years. I mean, when I started kicking, at first, I just wanted to play football in Mexico...my dad went out looking, going to every college football game in Mexico, just asking who the kicker was for those teams, and just asking, like, hey, can you train my son?”

Looking ahead, Gómez expressed his mindset under pressure: “I just do my job. It’s pressure, but I think I was built for this. Really. I love the pressure. I enjoy it.”

As the Eagles prepare to host Jacksonville State University on Sept. 14, Gómez and his teammates will take to the newly renovated gray turf of Crosby Field inside "The Factory" at Rynearson Stadium. The home opener kicks off at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast live on ESPN+. Coverage will also be available on WEMU (89.1 FM) and The Varsity Network app, with Tom Helmer and Rob Rubick calling the action.

In just the first two weeks of the season, Gómez’s impressive performance has earned him MAC honors and set a high bar for excellence. Following his recognition, Gómez joins teammate James Djonkam, MAC Defensive Player of the Week, on Sept. 2, showcasing EMU’s strong start to the season. Gómez’s continued success underscores his skill, dedication, and impact as one of the premier kickers in college football.