The Eastern Echo Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

Jefferson Adam

Jefferson Adam: coming home to Eastern Michigan

As the autumn leaves fall and the air grows crisp, Jefferson Adam finds himself in a familiar setting—Ypsilanti, Michigan, where his journey began. After transferring to Eastern Michigan University from Iowa State University, Adam has finally returned to the community he calls home.

A Journey of Perseverance

Before joining the Eagles, Adam's path was simple. He was part of the Iowa State team but did not appear in any games. Despite this setback, he earned the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll recognition, showcasing his dedication to academics and athletics. Adam’s collegiate career took off at Hocking College, where he emerged as one of the top junior college recruits in the nation.

Rated as a three-star edge and the top player from Michigan by 247Sports Composite JUCO, Adam recorded an impressive 17 tackles, including 8.5 sacks in the 2022 season. His remarkable talent garnered attention, with offers from several Power 5 programs, including West Virginia and California. However, the call of home was too strong to resist.

Home is Where the Heart Is

In a recent interview, Adam reflected on his decision to come to EMU.

“I'd say two years ago, I was coming out of junior college, and Eastern was recruiting me hard,” he shared. “I was in and out of here, practically… I always liked Eastern; it was my dream school because I was down the road. I remember just like, man, I would do anything to play for Eastern, and I finally got that opportunity.”

His time at Iowa State, however, wasn’t fulfilling.

“When I went to Iowa State, it was kind of like I just did not feel, culturally, that I fitted. I did not feel like I fitted in the program. And, you know, my heart was at Eastern,” he said, expressing many athletes' longing for their roots.

When he entered the transfer portal, the EMU coaching staff quickly reached out.

“I got a FaceTime call from Needham and Creighton, and, you know, here we just like, come home,” he recalled. “I didn't realize how much of an impact being at home would do, not only for the community, but for me and my family… It’s honestly a blessing. I couldn't ask for anything more.”

Under Coach Needham's Guidance

The leadership of Coach Ben Needham has bolstered Adam's transition back to EMU.

“Coach Needham, he's one of the best coaches I've ever seen,” Adam praised. “The way he gets through to you as a coach is unbelievable. He’s a tough coach. He’ll make sure that he holds you accountable. He’ll make sure that you’re doing your job and your responsibility. But you know it’s out of love, and you know that it comes from a place where not only he knows that you can get better, but he wants you to believe you can get better as well.”

The camaraderie within the defensive unit is palpable, with Adam describing the culture as one of mutual support and accountability.

“We got six guys right now that we rotate, and all of us could start here,” he explained. “We hold each other accountable, and we’re not afraid to hold each other accountable...”

Aiming for Greatness

As the season progresses, Adam remains focused on what lies ahead. EMU has a chance to prove doubters wrong and create a new narrative for the program.

“We are here to prove something, and we’re here to prove not only to the people that don’t believe in us wrong but to ourselves,” he stated.

With the Mid-American Conference (MAC) championship in sight, Adam recognizes the importance of staying grounded.

“Just avoid the noise and clean up little stuff,” he advised. “Just kind of doing everything that I know I could do, but better and just better and better.”

The Power of Community

Beyond the field, Adam has noticed a shift in the community's perception of EMU football.

“When I was growing up, Eastern was not winning,” he reflected. “But obviously, when you win games, you hop on board.”

As he walks through the local stores and hears congratulations from community members, the pride in his hometown resonates deeply.

“Eastern Michigan is slowly but surely getting the respect that it deserves as a program and it's awesome to see,” Adam concluded with a gleam of hope in his eyes as he embraces this new chapter.

As Jefferson Adam steps onto the field donning the green and white, he not only represents a team, but also embodies the spirit of Ypsilanti—a community that has shaped him and now eagerly supports his journey in return. The echoes of the past blend seamlessly with the promise of the future, as Adam aims to make his mark not only in football but also in the hearts of those he calls family.