The Eastern Echo Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

Human cases of West Nile reported in neighboring counties

As of publishing, 25 Michiganders have become infected with the West Nile virus, including residents of nearly all Washtenaw-neighboring counties, including Jackson, Livingston Monroe, Oakland, and Wayne counties.

This information comes out nearly a month after the Washtenaw County Health Department alerted residents of the potential increased infection rate over Labor Day weekend. It is unclear if the current human cases occurred during that week, and are presenting currently.

West Nile is a virus carried by mosquitoes that can cause flu-like symptoms in those infected. According to the Centers for Disease Control, eight out of 10 people infected will not develop any symptoms. For those who do develop symptoms, it may present as fever, vomiting, headaches, or body aches. Those who are immunocompromised and/or the elderly are at higher risk of developing a serious illness.

While no human cases have been identified in Washtenaw County, two new dead bird specimens have been found to carry the West Nile virus, bringing the total to five.

Susan Ringler-Cerniglia, the communications and community health promotion advisor for the Washtenaw County Health Department, hopes that the lack of cases in Washtenaw County stays that way.

“The fact that we don't have any cases reported locally is really good news,” said Ringler-Cerniglia. “We’re still wary that we could see some cases, but relieved so far that we don’t have any.”

In the state of Michigan, there have been 164 mosquito pools tested, and 87 animals testing positive for the West Nile virus. The potential increase is still hypothesized to be from the hot, dry weather present in the state, and the type of mosquitoes that thrive in those conditions.

“The type of mosquito that carries West Nile tends to favor [hot and dry] conditions, but of course, there’s activity across the state, so is that due to the weather or other factors, it’s hard to say,” said Ringler-Cerniglia. 

Ringler-Cerniglia said that precautions still need to be taken to prevent mosquito bites, such as dumping out stagnant water, wearing long sleeves, and making sure any open windows have screens. 

“When we get to this time of year, we’re getting some cooler days, it’s easier to stop thinking about [mosquitoes]. You might only think about them as a summertime thing… we emphasize keeping up with your precautions,” said Ringler-Cerniglia.

She says that mosquitoes will continue to be a hindrance until Washtenaw County gets their first hard frost of the season. Until then, county residents should continue doing their part to deter mosquitoes.

For more information about West Nile and how to prevent infection, please visit the Washtenaw County Health Department's website.