The Eastern Echo Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024 | Print Archive

A bronze statue unveiled in August 2023 depicts EMU alum and NBA player George "Iceman" Gervin, stands outside the George Gervin GameAbove Center on the Eastern Michigan University campus.

EMU receives MAC award

The EMU Department of Athletics was recently selected to win the 1-MAC Institution Award from the last school year in 2023-2024.

Last year, the University of Buffalo won the 2022-2023 award. This is the first time Eastern has received the honor.

Each year, the Mid-American Conference comes together in Cleveland, Ohio, to figure out what university stands out, not only in athletics, but also in grade point average, determination, inclusion, and diversity. The conference consists of 12 full-time members who take part in 23 sports in the MAC conference.

This all falls under the diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging initiative, made up of 18 members, including student-athletes, coaches, and athletic staff.

The committee aims to highlight all the good that comes from student-athletes. The award looks at all the college students in the MAC Conference to measure success in these areas.

EMU student-athletes recorded 6,443 hours of community service within the last school year, contributing to their award.

The award also highlights the mental health aspect based on the struggles of being a college athlete. EMU athletes' participation in the MAC Impact & Excellence Program led the MAC conference, leading the conference with 187 sessions in the MACS Impact & Excellence Program.