The Eastern Echo Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024 | Print Archive

Ypsilanti Township Civic Center

EMU professor Sadaf Ali secures spot on general election ballot in Ypsilanti Township

Eastern Michigan University professor Sadaf Ali has joined the Nov. 5 general election as a write-in candidate for Ypsilanti Township Park Commission member.

Ali, a professor of electronic media and film studies, previously ran for Ypsilanti Township Board of Trustees Member in the primary election that took place back in August. There, she almost unseated incumbent, John P. Newman, but there were only four seats available.

“We need to have some of our own people representing our community in these particular spaces. Local politics is extremely important, and we don't ever have enough of our own people in these spaces,” Ali said.

Ali had always thought about running for office, but the thing that pushed her was attending the Ypsilanti City Council decision on their ceasefire resolution.

“It was the Palestinian genocide, the genocide in Gaza, and now moving into the West Bank. That was really the impetus for me to go, okay, I'm gonna go ahead and run,” Ali said.

One of Ali’s main goals is to turn empty spaces and subdivisions such as Sugar Brook and West Willow into actual parks, and to bring in programs for children and nature.

“You can make a real difference in your community, and you really should run for office. I always tell my students if you even have the slightest inclination that you're interested in it, just do it,” Ali said.