The Eastern Echo Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024 | Print Archive

Hatteras Welker

Eastern Michigan's Hatteras Welker earns MAC defensive player of the week honor

Eastern Michigan University volleyball player Hatteras Welker has been named the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Defensive Player of the Week, the league announced on Monday, Sept. 23. This recognition marks the first MAC award for the Eagles this season and the first of Welker's collegiate career. The last Eagle to receive the accolade was Emma McMahon in November 2023.

Welker, a freshman from Sunbury, Ohio, made a significant impact for the Eagles in their Sept. 16-21 matches. The middle blocker currently leads the MAC in total blocks and ranks eighth in the nation with 67. Across three games, she recorded 18 blocks, averaging an impressive two blocks per set. Her contributions helped Eastern Michigan secure a 2-1 record during that stretch.

Welker’s standout performance came against Indiana State on Sept. 20, where she tallied ten blocks. This season, it was her second match with ten or more blocks, propelling the Eagles to a 17-7 advantage in blocks over the Sycamores. Her 10-block effort was just one shy of her career-high 11, set earlier this season against Indiana University-Indianapolis on August 30, which ranks second-most in a single match in the MAC this season.

In addition to her defensive prowess, Welker demonstrated her offensive capabilities, contributing 14 kills on 25 attempts for a .520 hitting percentage. She achieved a career-high nine kills and a .692 hitting percentage against Indiana State, the second-highest in a single match in the conference this season. Welker also showcased her skills from the service line with four aces, scoring a total of 27.0 points for EMU, averaging three points per set.

Up Next for the Eagles The Eastern Michigan volleyball team kicks off MAC play this week with a pair of matches against Kent State University, scheduled for Thursday and Friday, Sept. 26-27.

Stay Connected For all the latest EMU volleyball updates, follow @EMUVolleyball and @EMUAthletics on X. Fans can also follow the Green and White on Instagram at @EMU_Volleyball. Be sure to check out The Eastern Echo for all the latest news on Eastern Michigan athletics.