The Eastern Echo Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

Clarke

Eastern Michigan Women's soccer: recap of recent matches

Eastern Michigan vs. Buffalo – Sept. 22, 2024

The Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team faced off against the undefeated University at Buffalo on Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024, falling 1-0 in a tight contest during Mid-American Conference (MAC) play at UB Stadium.

The Eagles kept the Bulls scoreless for the first 72 minutes of the game. Notable defensive efforts included a critical clearance by redshirt sophomore Scarlett Thomas and a shot by Buffalo that hit the post in the 61st minute. EMU's offense created a chance with a corner kick in the 68th minute, though a shot by redshirt freshman Josie Langhans narrowly missed the target. The Bulls secured the match's only goal in the 73rd minute.

Game Stats and Notes:

• Buffalo led the game in shots (18-10) and corner kicks (5-4).
  • Goalkeeper Ella Holland recorded nine saves, shy of her career-high 10.
  • Sarah Van Euwen and Scarlett Thomas played for 90 minutes, showcasing defensive resilience.
  • With the loss, Eastern Michigan moved to 4-4-1 overall, while Buffalo improved to 7-0-2.
  • The all-time series between EMU and Buffalo now stands evenly at 11-11-7.

Eastern Michigan vs. Toledo – Sept. 26, 2024

In their next matchup, the Eastern Michigan women's soccer team earned a hard-fought 0-0 draw against the University of Toledo on Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024, at Scicluna Field. The result marked the Eagles' fourth clean sheet of the season.

Sophomore Olivia Sipsock led EMU’s offensive efforts, firing five shots, two of which were on target. Senior Chloe Rajewski nearly found the back of the net in the 80th minute with a shot from 15 yards out, but Toledo's defense stood firm. Redshirt sophomore Ella Holland made two key saves to preserve the clean sheet for the Eagles.

Game Stats and Notes:

• Toledo outshot Eastern Michigan 14-11, while EMU led in corner kicks (5-4).
  • Holland secured her fourth clean sheet of the season, marking five in her career.
  • Van Euwen and Thomas once again played the full 90 minutes.
  • The Eagles are now unbeaten through five home games at Scicluna Field for the first time since 2014.
  • The draw leaves EMU at 4-4-2 (0-1-2 MAC) and Toledo at 3-5-2 (0-2-1 MAC).
  • EMU trails in the all-time series against Toledo, 14-16-3. 

Eastern Michigan vs. Ball State – Sept. 29, 2024

Continuing their defensive dominance, the Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team earned another scoreless draw, this time against Ball State University on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024, at the Briner Sports Complex, despite consistent rainfall. This was EMU's fifth clean sheet of the 2024 season.

Sophomore Olivia Sipsock led the offensive effort with five shots, three of which were on target. Despite several attempts from both sides, neither team managed to find the back of the net. EMU goalkeeper Ella Holland made three saves, ensuring another clean sheet for the season.

Game Stats and Notes:

• EMU led in shots (13-12), while Ball State had the advantage in corners (11-7).
  • Holland recorded her fifth clean sheet of the season, the highest for the Eagles since 2018.
  • Van Euwen and Thomas continued their defensive streak, playing for 90 minutes.
  • The Eagles have now recorded five clean sheets in their first 11 matches, a feat last achieved in 2012.
  • After back-to-back scoreless draws, Eastern Michigan moves to 4-4-3 (0-1-3 MAC), while Ball State holds a 6-4-1 (1-2-1 MAC) record.

Next Up:
The Eagles will return home to face Miami University on Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024, at Scicluna Field.