The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 | Print Archive

Rynearson Stadium

Eastern Michigan football to take on Jacksonville State at Crosby Field

After two weeks on the road, the Eastern Michigan University football team is eager to kick off its first home game of the 2024 season against Jacksonville State at the newly renovated Crosby Field.

Head Coach Chris Creighton expressed the team's enthusiasm about returning to their home turf and the renewed energy of playing in front of their supporters.

"We're really excited to be at home," Creighton shared. "We had a team meeting last night... for the guys that don't get to go [on the road], this is the first week that we all get to be together, and that's a big deal for us, and we're excited about that."

After its offseason renovation, fans will get their first look at the updated Crosby Field.

Creighton highlighted the transformation, noting, "When we watch film from last year, you see the track, and it's just that reminder of, 'Wow, it really looks different.' It looks and feels like a football stadium, and I think people are going to love it."

Removing the track creates a more immersive football experience and underscores the strength of the university's track program, which now has its dedicated facility.

Special teams played a crucial role in Eastern Michigan's game against the University of Washington, with standout performances including a blocked punt and a remarkable 57-yard field goal by Jesús Gómez. Creighton attributed the team's special teams success to the program's strong culture, praising Coach Kasey Teegardin, who is making a significant impact in his first year with the program.

"It starts with the culture," Creighton said. "Our football program believes that special teams are one of two critical components to winning a game on Saturday."

Gómez's impressive performance earned him the MAC Special Teams Player of the Week award on Sept. 9. He was perfect on all three field goal attempts during the game, including two kicks over 50 yards, setting a new EMU record and ranking his 57-yard kick among the longest in MAC history and the second-longest in the FBS for 2024. Read more about Jesús Gómez’s record-setting kick here on the Eastern Echo.

Despite the team's solid performance, Creighton acknowledged areas for improvement, particularly in capitalizing on early opportunities.

"We had another opportunity that was a sure touchdown and just a couple feet away from execution, so we settled for field goals," Creighton said. "It's frustrating that we didn't capitalize on opportunities that we created to have a different outcome."

Looking ahead to Jacksonville State, Creighton anticipates a formidable challenge due to the opponent's fast-paced, spread-option offense.

"They're the fastest team in the country," he noted. "They go super fast, and they have quarterbacks that are dual athletes who run the ball well. It's a massive challenge."

As Eastern Michigan prepares for this critical home opener, Creighton emphasizes the importance of balance and execution in all game phases to build momentum for the remainder of the season.

"We’ve got to continue to be balanced—running the football, throwing the football, taking care of the football," Creighton said.

Adding to the excitement of the home opener, the football program will host its annual Car Show in and around "The Factory" at Rynearson Stadium, featuring a variety of local vehicles on display. Fans are encouraged to explore the impressive lineup and vote for their favorite cars. Additionally, the first 750 students to arrive at the game on Saturday will receive a free hard hat, further enhancing the festivities surrounding the home opener. The game is set to kick off at 7 p.m. and will be broadcast live on ESPN+. Fans can also tune in to WEMU (89.1 FM) and The Varsity app to listen to Tom Helmer and Rob Rubick’s live commentary.