The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024 | Print Archive

David Carter Jr. Football

Eastern Michigan Football prepares for MAC opener against Kent State

The Eastern Michigan University football team is set to kick off its Mid-American Conference (MAC) play this week as the Eagles travel to Dix Stadium in Kent, Ohio, to face the Golden Flashes of Kent State University on Saturday, Sept. 28, at 3:30 p.m.

The Eagles, currently holding a record of 3-1, are coming off a dominant 36-0 victory over St. Francis University, while the Golden Flashes are struggling with a record of 0-4, having recently suffered a 56-0 loss to No. 10 Penn State. The game will be streamed live on ESPN+, with Shawn Kenney and Ryan Cavanaugh on the call. Fans can also listen to the game locally on WEMU (89.1 FM) and The Varsity Network app, where Tom Helmer, Rob Rubick, and Greg Steiner will provide the commentary.

This matchup marks the fourth time the Eagles have opened their MAC slate against the Golden Flashes, with Eastern Michigan holding a 1-2 record in those games. The lone victory came at home in 1989. Eastern Michigan has struggled in conference openers, losing their last seven and recording a 13-35 record in MAC openers. Last year, the Eagles fell to Central Michigan 26-23. A win at Kent State would snap this seven-game skid and represent their first victory in a MAC opener since defeating Bowling Green, 28-25, on Oct. 1, 2016.

Head coach Chris Creighton emphasized the importance of this game.

“We’re excited about a new start with the MAC conference and putting everything we have into this week, taking it one day at a time.”

In their last game, Eastern Michigan showcased a balanced offensive attack, scoring in four ways during the 36-0 shutout against St. Francis. David Carter Jr. began the scoring with a 99-yard fumble return, while Kendrick Nowling scored on a blocked punt recovery. Delbert Mimms III added a rushing touchdown, and Jeremiah Salem connected with Zyell Griffin for a record-breaking 89-yard touchdown pass. 

Kicker Jesús Gómez also made headlines earning MAC Special Teams Player of the Week honors for the third consecutive game after adding three field goals.

Historically, Eastern Michigan trails Kent State in their all-time series with a record of 16-19. However, the Eagles won the last meeting 28-14 on Oct. 14, 2023, and secured a 31-24 victory in their previous visit to Kent on Nov. 16, 2022. In that game, Eastern overcame a 17-7 halftime deficit with a powerful second-half performance led by quarterback Taylor Powell, who threw for 315 yards and three touchdowns.

Creighton noted the significance of the upcoming matchup.

“We know that we're not where we need to be, nor where we want to be … in the beginning of the year no one's good enough to win a MAC championship," Creighton said. "I don't think people really think about it that way. We're all at the bottom if you will, and it's a matter of who can close their gap, who can become their best, not necessarily the fastest, but whose ceiling is the highest.”

The Eastern defense has been a significant factor in their success this season. In their shutout against St. Francis, they limited the opposition to just 154 total yards, showcasing a formidable pass rush with six sacks. The Eagles rank seventh nationally in total sacks with 13, averaging 3.25 per game. Furthermore, EMU's red zone defense leads the MAC and ranks 14th nationally, allowing opponents to score just five times in 12 opportunities.

As the Eagles prepare for their MAC opener against Kent State, they will aim to continue their strong performance and overcome their recent struggles in conference openers.

“We’re just concerned with us. We’ve got to get better. So we need to get better if we want to do the things that we've set out to do," Creighton said.

The Eagles will be looking to establish themselves in the MAC early in the season and build momentum for the remainder of their schedule.