The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 | Print Archive

Akron defeats EMU

Eastern Michigan and Central Michigan battle to 2-2 draw in MAC opener

The Eastern Michigan University soccer team played to an exciting 2-2 draw against in-state rival Central Michigan University on Thursday, Sept. 19, at Scicluna Field. The match served as the Mid-American Conference (MAC) opener for both teams, with all four goals coming in the first half.

Sophomore Olivia Sipsock (Medina, Ohio/Medina) got the Eagles off to a strong start, scoring the first goal of the match in the 12th minute. Sipsock found the back of the net off a cross from sophomore Kate Robinson (Madison Heights, Michigan/Lamphere), who senior Maddie O'Farrell (Haslett, Michigan/Lansing Catholic) assisted. The early goal gave Eastern a 1-0 lead.

However, Central Michigan quickly responded with two goals, taking the lead in the 25th and 34th minutes. The Chippewas' offensive surge left the Eagles trailing 2-1. Still, redshirt sophomore Sophia Baumann (Romeo, Michigan/Romeo) scored her first career goal just before halftime to bring Eastern back on level terms. Baumann’s left-footed strike from close range came after a long ball from junior Mary Grimes (Commerce Township, Michigan/Walled Lake Central), making it 2-2.

Despite several opportunities for both sides, neither team could find the winning goal in the second half. Eastern Michigan goalkeeper Ella Holland (Dunwoody, Georgia/Dunwoody/Samford), a redshirt sophomore, made a crucial diving save in the 87th minute to deny Central Michigan a late winner. Her effort helped the Eagles secure a point from the match.

Eastern Michigan led the game in shots, 14-7, while Central Michigan dominated in corner kicks with an 8-3 advantage.

The result extended Eastern Michigan's dominance in the all-time series against Central Michigan to 17-7-5. The Eagles have now scored in nine consecutive matches against the Chippewas, tied for the program’s second-longest active streak against an opponent. After drawing a program-record six games in 2023, this was the first draw of the Eagles' 2024 season.

Eastern Michigan now sits at 4-3-1 on the season, while Central Michigan moves to 2-4-2. Sipsock’s goal marked her fourth of the season, just one shy of her 2023 total. Baumann’s equalizer was her first collegiate goal. Robinson, who led the MAC with seven assists last season, recorded her first assist of the 2024 campaign, while Grimes added her second assist of the year. Sophomore Sarah Van Euwen (Avon Lake, Ohio/Avon Lake) played the full 90 minutes, logging her seventh complete match.

Eastern Michigan will look to build on this performance when it travels to face undefeated University at Buffalo on Sunday, Sept. 22. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.