The Eastern Echo Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 | Print Archive

DSC_0622.JPG

Eagles set for hall of fame weekend showdown against St. Francis

The Eastern Michigan University Eagles (2-1) will host St. Francis University (1-2) on Saturday, Sept. 21, inside "The Factory" at Rynearson Stadium. The Eagles are coming off a thrilling double-overtime victory against Jacksonville State, winning 37-34 in their home opener. Kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m., with the game being streamed on ESPN+ and broadcast on WEMU (89.1 FM).

Eastern Michigan’s Offense Ready to Shine

EMU’s offense, led by quarterback Cole Snyder, is finding its rhythm. Snyder, who threw for two touchdowns in the victory over Jacksonville State, will replicate that success against a St. Francis defense that has struggled to contain opposing offenses, allowing an average of 30 points per game. The Eagles will rely on the versatile playmakers of their receiving corps, including Elijah Jackson-Anderson and rising star Max Reese. Reese, who caught his first two career touchdowns last week, will be a crucial target in the red zone.

Head Coach Chris Creighton praised Reese's performance, noting, “We challenged Max, I don't know, maybe in January, for him to be the player that he wants to be and that we know that he can be. This is back in January. Running routes and catching the ball has never been an issue. We just challenged him to be a factor in the run game as well… He’s taken that challenge to heart and showed serious improvement in the spring and summer.”

Reflecting on his recent performance, Reese said, “Everything from the pass to the protection we practice, you know, in practice, I mean, just it came to fruition in the game. It was a beautiful ball. If you actually rewatch the play, Josh Anderson leveled the dude on it. So, I mean, protection was there. It’s exactly how we drew it up. We got the look we were looking for. So, I mean, it all worked out perfectly.”

Delbert Mimms III and Jackson-Anderson on the ground provide a solid 1-2 punch, contributing to EMU’s balanced rushing attack. The Eagles posted 152 rushing yards in their last game and they'll look to exploit a St. Francis defense that has given up nearly 170 rushing yards per game.

Jesús Gómez: Kicker of the Week

For two consecutive weeks, Jesús Gómez, EMU’s clutch kicker, has been named the Mid-American Conference (MAC) Kicker of the Week. His reliable leg has made the difference in tight games, most recently with a 34-yard game-winning field goal in double overtime against Jacksonville State. With his consistency, Gómez could be a crucial factor again this weekend, especially in another close contest.

St. Francis Scouting Report

The St. Francis Red Flash come into the game with a 1-2 record after dropping a close 27-20 game to Central Connecticut State. Offensively, they have a strong passing attack, but EMU’s defense, led by Zach Mowchan’s career-high 15 tackles last week, will be prepared to contain them. St. Francis will need to find ways to break through a tough Eagles defense that allowed only one touchdown in the second half of the Jacksonville State game.

Coach Creighton reflected on the Jacksonville State game, stating, “First game on the Crosby Field here at The Factory. You know, the Phil Incarnati Athletic Center was named, and then the Mike Morris, Mike and Linda Morris Press box. So, having all those people back was a big deal. And so, so good seeing Eagle Nation, the student body, come out and support their team and their school. It was a very, very, very exciting game. You know, Jacksonville put it on us last year at their place, and we knew this was going to be a super physical four-quarter game. Hadn't anticipated double overtime. And they came out and took the ball down the field and scored, and we answered in a little bit of a back-and-forth, you know, all the way through. When it looked like there was very, very, very, very little hope, you know, for us to pull it off. There, at the end of the first overtime, a crazy play happened, and we were able to pull it out in the end.”

Key Matchups

EMU’s defense will focus on limiting St. Francis’ aerial attack while continuing to dominate in the trenches. Look for the Eagles to exploit the Red Flash’s weak run defense on offense with their multi-faceted ground game. Special teams will also be crucial, with Gómez’s recent kicking success likely giving EMU an edge.

Hall of Fame Weekend

The game also marks Hall of Fame Weekend at EMU, with the program set to honor four new inductees. Fans attending the game can also look forward to performances from 18 local high school bands alongside EMU’s Marching Band at halftime.

Game Information

Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. ET at Rynearson Stadium, with live coverage on ESPN+ and radio broadcasts available on WEMU (89.1 FM.)