The Eastern Echo Monday, Sept. 23, 2024 | Print Archive

Football

Eagles defeat St. Francis University in landslide shutout

The Eastern Michigan University football team put on a spectacular performance, shutting out visiting St. Francis University, 36-0, on Saturday, September 21. The Eagles (3-1) displayed an impressive range of scoring, notching touchdowns through a defensive fumble return, a rushing play, a blocked punt, and aerial strikes, marking their first shutout victory since 2008.

First Quarter: Defensive Dominance Sets the Tone

The action started with St. Francis attempting to drive the ball, but the Eagle's defense held firm. The game's first highlight came when David Carter Jr. (Ecorse, Michigan) scooped up a fumbled snap and sprinted 99 yards for a touchdown, making it the most extended fumble return in EMU history and the fourth-longest scoring play in program history. The Eagles took an early lead of 6-0, extended by a 40-yard field goal from Jesús Gómez (Puebla, México) to close the quarter at 10-0.

Watch David Carter Jr. make history with his incredible 99-yard fumble return for a touchdown—check out the jaw-dropping play here!

Second Quarter: Eagles Build Momentum

As the second quarter unfolded, Eastern Michigan's offense began to shine. Quarterback Cole Snyder (Lakewood, New York) orchestrated drives effectively, while Oran Singleton (Clewiston, Florida) contributed crucial first downs. A 49-yard field goal from Gómez made it 13-0 at halftime. The Eagle's defense continued to frustrate St. Francis, denying their offense any scoring opportunities.

Third Quarter: Expanding the Lead

The third quarter saw the Eagles increase their dominance. Delbert Mimms III (Indianapolis, Indiana) punched in a 1-yard touchdown, bringing the score to 19-0. Just moments later, a pivotal blocked punt by Joey Mattord (Hartland, Michigan) led to a touchdown by Kendrick Nowling (Chicago, Illinois), who recovered the ball in the end zone. Gómez added another field goal from 37 yards to round out the scoring for the quarter, leaving the Eagles firmly in control at 26-0.

Fourth Quarter: Record-Setting Plays

The final quarter featured a spectacular play as Jeremiah Salem (Germantown, Tennessee) threw an 89-yard touchdown to Zyell Griffin (Vancouver, Washington), marking the longest passing touchdown in EMU history. This explosive play capped off a dominant showing for the Eagles, finalizing the score at 36-0.

Post-Game Reflections

Head Coach Chris Creighton expressed pride in his team's performance, emphasizing the importance of consistent play. "It is fun to win, no doubt about it. Our standard is higher than just winning," he remarked. Reflecting on the game compared to the previous week, he noted the differences in pacing and the excitement among players getting their first taste of college action.

Player Highlights

Carter Jr. shared his thoughts on his impressive fumble return, saying, “At first, it was just a pile, and I saw the ball pop out, and nobody decided to grab it. It was just bodies on the ball. So I said, let me go ahead and grab it. At first, I was on my knees, as you have seen, on the replay and stuff. And then I noticed, like, okay, I’m able to get up and just take off. No whistles were blowing at all, so I just grabbed the ball, took off no whistles blown, and scored."

With standout performances across the board, including three field goals from Gómez, who now leads the Mid-American Conference with 42 points this season, the Eagles are riding high as they prepare for their upcoming game.

Looking Ahead

The Eagles will next face Kent State University in their Mid-American Conference opener on September 28 at 3:30 p.m. Fans can catch the game live on ESPN+ or listen on WEMU (89.1 FM).