The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024 | Print Archive

Dungeons & Dreadnots Takes Students on a Trip to the Michigan Renaissance Fair

Dungeons & Dreadnots takes students on trip to Michigan Renaissance Fair

Fairies, elves and mythical delight! On Saturday, September 7th 2024, the club Dungeons & Dreadnots sponsored by Campus Life took students to the Michigan Renaissance Faire located in Holly, Mich. 

“I have always loved going to the Holly Michigan Renaissance Fair; however, like some people, I don't have a car on campus. Last year, I spoke to many different people who had an interest in going to a Renaissance fair," President Ava Kachnowoki said in a written statement. “I thought planning an event to go with transportation included would be cool. I wasn't 100% sure how to approach this, so I emailed campus life because they have planned events like this before. We decided to collaborate with each other for the event. This started last school year sometime around March."

Students who bought a ticket were instructed to arrive at the Student Center by 8:30 a.m. The bus was set to leave by 9 a.m. sharp to embark on an hour-long trip. At the faire, students were given a schedule detailing events for the day and told once more to return to the bus by 3 p.m. for the commute back to campus. Looking throughout the itinerary, students saw the weekend theme ‘Wonders of the World.' 

“Planning for trips is usually pretty straightforward. We looked at the theme weekends. D&D hosted a poll on their socials to see which theme had the most interest. Once we had the date, we booked the bus and talked through how much students might be able to afford, what the marketing process would look like, etc," Coordinator of Engagement and Activities, Juniper Bamrick said in a written statement.

After arriving back on campus, students explained their experiences.

Business Management and Marketing major Eriyana Jackson stated that this was her first time going to the Renaissance faire.

“I was very excited. I’ve always wanted to go to the faire even when I was a kid. I was definitely expecting to have fun”, Jackson said. “I was happy to finally have a turkey leg and to see the knights. I didn’t expect it to be so big, which I loved!”

Like many students who attended this year’s event, going to the faire may be a new experience, so for any newcomers, Kachnowoki and Bamrick had some advice. 

“There are a lot of things to do at the fair. There are music performances and fun shows. Sometimes, there are costume contests; you can do archery and axe throwing. Most people there will be dressed in costume, but you will sometimes still see those in their streetwear. If it is your first time going to a Renaissance fair, I highly encourage you to dress up. You get much more interaction from the performers and vendors at the fair, and it makes for a more fun experience. One also should not miss out on watching jousting. There are usually 3-4 time slots, and it is located in a huge outdoor arena,” Kachnowoki said. 

Bamrick’s advice describes the atmosphere.

“I'd say expect crowds and lines, the only bathroom facilities they have are Port-a-Potties, and it's either dry and dusty or wet and muddy, so wear close-toed shoes. Additionally, many people dress up to go, but there are also many who don't, so there is no pressure either way. Go with an open mind and a cheerful heart, and you'll have a blast. There are performers and musicians and strange dudes yelling about their pickles for sale (actual pickles like from the jar) and, of course, fairies and mushroom costumes, jousting and big feather hats. They also have tons of sellers there with handmade artisan goods like jewelry, clothing, accessories, soaps, etc.,” Bamrick said.