Dorsey Estates Ypsilanti

Affordable housing makes space for Ypsilanti homeowners

With down-payment assistance on the table — and affordable prices — Doresy Estates project managers created an Ypsilanti neighborhood for new buyers who might have thought homeownership in Washtenaw County was only a dream.

“It seems too good to be true, but it’s not," Renovare Managing Partner Shannon Morgan said. The company, which organized and built the project, partnered with other contractors and government agencies including the city of Ypsilanti to build the neighborhood at 220 N Park St., the site of a former Boys and Girls Club.

After scheduling tours for potential homeowners in August and September, project managers have geared up to start selling the homes in October — initially through a lottery.

“The goal is to make generational wealth options," Morgan said. 

On the Dorsey Estates website, developers said the project was about helping people reach the American dream of homeownership.

"We believe that everyone deserves the opportunity to own a home and build generational wealth," the developers said on the website. "Our mission is to provide high-quality housing options for the families of Ypsilanti. Nestled just a few blocks away from Historic Depot Town, our homes combine historic charm with modern comfort."

The price of all 46 units in the project will be set under the total cost of construction, the developers said. The units will be a mixture of cottages, duplexes, and townhomes. Developers said the architectural layout will reflect the historic character of the surrounding community. The townhomes and duplexes have 1,280 square feet of living space, with two bedrooms and one and a half bathrooms. The cottage is 1,057 square feet with two bedrooms and one and a half bathrooms.

Each unit has a shed and storage unit, energy-efficient appliances, a smart-side exterior, double-pane windows, and a walk-in closet.

Renovare, a majority woman-owned company based in Ypsilanti, plans to add pocket parks, a stormwater basin, and other greenspace that will connect to existing pathways. Construction is scheduled to be finished in 2026. 

Because demand for the homes is expected to be high, project leaders said they will use the lottery idea to remain transparent to the community. Morgan said the winning buyers' names will be drawn from a pool of those who have been pre-approved for the loans and met other qualifications, including participation in a homeownership seminar.

After the lottery and if homes are still available, Dorsey Estates will begin selling the homes on a first-come, first-served basis, starting sometime in mid-summer 2025.

The Michigan Workforce Housing Corp. was tasked with handling the buyer program, helping to qualify buyers, and coordinating downpayment assistance. Project support to help keep the homes affordable for lower-income homebuyers came through Washtenaw County American Rescue Plan Act funding.

The project also received assistance from Michigan's Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy, in the form of a $1 million grant that supported housing projects in Flint, Ann Arbor, and Ypsilanti. The grant money was directed toward revitalizing brownfield areas in those cities and was used to remove contaminated fill material and test the land before the projects were built. Half of the new units in the $16.5 million redevelopment in Ypsilanti will be designated as workforce housing and set aside for owners making 40% to 80% of the area's median income.

“Every Michigander deserves a safe and affordable place to call home,” Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said in June 2024 when announcing the grant. “These three brownfield redevelopment projects will help build 183 units to address the critical need for more housing in Ann Arbor, Flint, and Ypsilanti. Affordable housing provides stability to families, which has been shown to improve their health, allow them to live closer to their jobs, and free up money they can spend in their communities. Let’s keep making the largest investments in housing in Michigan history and pursue our strategy of build, baby, build!”

To be included in the lottery, potential homeowners must contact a lender, get pre-approved for a loan, contact the Dorsey Estates sales manager, complete an application and checklist, including homeownership training, and then provide income documents containing six months of pay stubs and tax returns. Once those steps are completed and thoroughly reviewed, advancement to the next step is being qualified to become a homeowner.

Dorsey Estates set up some tools to help buyers meet those requirements and win a chance to become homeowners.

Beginning Sept. 7, potential buyers can attend homeownership education webinars with Clarissa McMillon, who is ready to help buyers get pre-approved for mortgages. The webinar covers income, savings, budgeting, credit repair, and taxes. McMillon also offers free one-on-one courses on Thursdays from 6-7 p.m., starting Sept. 12.

Credit is not an issue when becoming a homeowner at Dorsey Estates. Theresa Desselles, the loan officer or lender working with Dorsey Estates, determines where assistance is needed to get pre-approved for a new home. Desselles said potential buyers can schedule a 15-minute meeting with the sales manager.

For more information on becoming a homeowner contact Dorsey at info@dorseyestates.com, or visit the development's website: www.dorseyestates.com.