The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 | Print Archive

Halle_Library_04.JPG

Academic support resources for EMU students

As the semester begins, many students may find themselves feeling overwhelmed by coursework and deadlines. Some might find themselves struggling to balance academics with activities, work, and other obligations. Fortunately, Eastern Michigan University offers academic support services that can help students overcome academic struggles and perform better in their classes.

The Holman Success Center

One major academic resource for students is the Holman Success Center, which offers workshops and tutoring. The workshops help students learn about financial aid opportunities and improve their academic skills. In addition to being educational, these workshops can also be fun. For example, on Sept. 25, the Holman Success Center will offer a game night where students will get to have fun while learning about financial aid opportunities and scholarships. Learn more about these opportunities here

The Holman Success Center also offers drop-in tutoring. If students are stuck on a tough textbook chapter or a challenging assignment, they can bring their questions to a tutor at the Holman Success Center. For instance, this fall semester, the center will offer drop-in assistance with several biology and chemistry classes in 101 Strong Hall on Wednesdays from 5-7 p.m. To learn more about drop-in tutoring, visit this link.

Students may also benefit from meeting with a Holman success coach. Success coaches are staff and graduate assistants who can advise students about their academic plans and help them improve their study techniques. Te'Nia Richardson, a senior majoring in Environmental Science, had an excellent experience working with her Holman success coach.

"I found it very helpful," she explained. "It was very easy to just schedule a meeting with [my coach]." Richardson's coach was able to offer advice about a difficult class and her academic path. "[My] coach really guided me...which I thought was really helpful."

Visit this link to learn more about success coaching.

Math Lab

Math and statistics classes can be particularly challenging for many students. Fortunately, EMU offers free in-person and virtual tutoring through the Mathematics Tutoring Center. Students can go to 411 Pray-Harrold to take advantage of in-person drop-in tutoring from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays and 8 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Students can also book an appointment for Zoom tutoring, which is available Monday through Thursday from 8-10:30 p.m. 

In addition to helping students succeed in their math classes, the Mathematics Tutoring Center can help them prepare for the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment and standardized exams, including the GRE and GMAT. Math assessments and standardized tests can be intimidating, but EMU is committed to helping students do their best work. Learn more about the Mathematics Tutoring Center here. Students can also reach out to Sara Schultz, the center's coordinator, at sschult5@emich.edu. 

University Writing Center

The University Writing Center is committed to providing all EMU students, faculty, and staff with high-quality writing support. Students can meet with University Writing Center consultants in person or over Zoom. They can also have written feedback consultations in which they submit their writing to a consultant and receive written feedback on it. 

University Writing Center consultants include part-time lecturers and graduate assistants, but the center also recognizes that some students may feel more comfortable talking with a peer. That is where undergraduate peer writing consultants come in.

Emilee Breitner, a senior majoring in Secondary Education, recognizes the importance of peer writing support.

"As a peer writing consultant, I have loved being able to connect with fellow students when they come to the writing center," Breitner said. "Coming to work with undergraduate or graduate consultants at the writing center can be more comfortable for students who are nervous to talk to their professor or who might have a hard time understanding the assignment directions they’ve been given. We can be a stepping stone to figuring out how to open up that communication with professors as well."

Breitner is confident that the University Writing Center can provide resources and support to everyone on campus. "Students of all writing types and experience levels come to us for help, and I truly believe it’s valuable for anyone to come and see us or make an appointment online."

To learn more about the University Writing Center, click here

The beginning of any new semester can be a stressful time for students. However, the Holman Success Center, Math Lab, and University Writing Center are just some of the resources available on campus. EMU is committed to supporting their students, and with that support, all Eastern Eagles can spread their wings and soar.