The Eastern Echo Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024 | Print Archive

Ypsi Bloom Co-Founders Portraits

Ypsi Bloom Studio & Gallery closes August 29 with celebration

Local business, Ypsi Bloom Studio & Gallery, announced via a newsletter that it will close its doors on August 29.

A celebration, expressing gratitude to the community for the continued support, is scheduled for August 29.

Co-founders of Ypsi Bloom and local artists Alexandria Daniels and Amanda May Moore partnered to bring the Ypsilanti community a space for local artists to come and create and for art lovers to support local artists.

“We wanted to create a space where artists of all backgrounds, all mediums, and all skill levels felt comfortable approaching,” Daniels said.

“Or a gallery with grit,” Moore said.

Ypsi Bloom opened in May 2024 with its inaugural exhibition, “Bloom,” with support from the community. After the announcement, that same community is feeling bittersweet due to the loss of an inclusive, creative space. 

“There’s this sadness and disappointment, but there’s also this overwhelming support of us doing what we need to do,” Daniels said.

As independent artists, Daniels and Moore have found it to be more difficult than expected to continue blooming as artists while maintaining a brick-and-mortar.

“It’s hard to be able to create and do new things as an artist if you have an anchored space,” Moore said.

Though Ypsi Bloom is closing, the pair stresses the importance of supporting local artists and small businesses and putting energy into the Ypsilanti community.

“This was a big leap to take and we went for it,” Daniels said. “I’m happy to say that we did it.”

Throughout August, the exhibition “From the River to the Sea,” will remain on display and Ypsi Bloom will continue to host workshops and events.

“We’ve pushed the envelope. With this show itself, we are speaking peace. Ypsi Bloom has been a way to facilitate conversation in the community,” Moore said.

Individually, Daniels, @bohohazeclay on Instagram, creates jewelry with polymer clay and resin, and Moore, @amandamaymoore on Instagram, is a printmaker.

To keep up with Ypsi Bloom, follow their Instagram, @ypsi.bloom.studio, and for more information about their final events visit their website, www.ypsibloom.com.