The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 | Print Archive

Riverside Arts Center 2

What's the move? Aug. 5-11

Check out these events happening around Eastern Michigan University's campus this week.

Yoga Asana & Meditation- Aug. 5

Visit Rhizome Roots Studio for their weekly sessions of Vinyasa Flow and Yin Yoga & Meditation. Every Monday, a session of Vinyasa Flow will take place from 6:30-7:15 p.m., followed by a session of Yin Yoga & Mediation from 7:30-8:15 p.m.

Cruise-In Car Show - Aug. 7

Hosted by Ratchets & Wrenches, the monthly Cruise-In Car Show will be returning to the community this Wednesday. The car show is free to partake in, with all years, makes, and models of vehicles welcome. The event will also include a 50/50 raffle, and food donations will be accepted for Food Gatherers. The car show will take place at Ratchets & Wrenches from 6-8 p.m., with awards being presented at 7:30 p.m.

YPOP Wednesdays! Group Pet Walk Around Depot Town - Aug. 7

Join Depot Town Cats & Dogs on their weekly pet walk in Depot Town. The walk will take place from 6:30-7 p.m., beginning at the pet supply shop. Individuals who play instruments are also welcome to play music during the weekly event, for which they will receive a $20 gift card from Depot Town Cats & Dogs.

Depot Town Comedy Open Mic - Aug. 7

Visit 734 Brewing Company for a night of comedy. This week's free comedy night will be hosted by Tommy Cook, and it will run from 7:30-10:30 p.m.

Depot Town Cruise Nights - Aug. 8

Head to Depot Town to see a variety of classic vehicles as part of Depot Town Cruise Nights. The event will take place every Thursday through summer from 5-9 p.m.

John E. Lawrence Summer Jazz Series: Bob Baldwin - Aug. 9

Listen to a musical performance by artist Bob Baldwin as part of this week's John E. Lawrence Summer Jazz Series concert. The performance will be held at Ford Lake Park from 7-9 p.m., and admission is free. Parking costs $10 and attendees are asked to bring their own lawn chairs.

Riverside Swings - Aug. 9

Swing dance with community members in the dance studio of Riverside Arts Center. Beginning at 7 p.m., a free one-hour Charleston lesson will take place, followed by a free one-hour beginner lesson on six-count swing. A session of blues will then start at 9 p.m., which costs $5 to partake in.

Ypsilanti Farmers Market - Aug. 10

Visit Depot Town to shop from a variety of produce, crafts, and more from local vendors. Located at 100 Rice St., the Ypsilanti Farmers Market will take place every Saturday through summer from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Guided Tours: Ypsilanti Art Walk - Aug. 10-11

Join local historian and naturalist Stefan Szumko for a tour that highlights the artwork in the Ypsilanti community. In the span of the five mile route, statues, murals, and more will be discussed. There will also be a three mile route option that does not include Eastern Michigan University's campus. The tour will take place on two days, with the tours on both days beginning at the Ypsilanti Freighthouse. On Saturday, the tour will begin at 10 a.m., and on Sunday, the tour will begin at 2 p.m. Each tour costs $5 to partake in, with participation being free for children under 12.

Ypsi Vegan Fest - Aug. 10

Presented by Stone & Spoon, the Ypsi Vegan Fest will feature food trucks, non-profit organizations, and food vendors to help highlight and showcase the world of veganism. The festival will run from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the parking lot of Key Bank, located on the corner of W. Michigan Ave. and Hamilton St.

Fun Fest - Aug. 10

The annual Fun Fest will be returning to Frog Island Park this year, hosted by Fundamental Sound Co. The festival will include vendors, food, art, and live music from a variety of performers. Some of the individuals scheduled to perform are Harmolodics, Thornetta Davis, and The Pherotones. Running from 12-11 p.m., tickets for the event cost $20 each and can be purchased online.

Peacenic 2024 - Aug. 10

Head to the parking lot of Ypsilanti Community High School for Peacenic 2024. The event will feature community tables and activities, with the involvement of multiple local organizations. Some organizations include the Washtenaw Recovery Advocacy Project, Shelter Association of Ann Arbor, and Home of New Vision. There will also be free food, a gaming truck, and more for attendees to partake in. The event will run from 3-7 p.m., with a rain date of Aug. 17.

The Ton-Up Ypsi Bike Show and Music Festival - Aug. 11

Visit Arbor Brewing Company - Corner Brewery for the 14th annual Ton-Up Ypsi Bike Show and Music Festival. The free festival will include music, bikes, and vendors, in addition to contests, raffles, and more. All motorcycles and bikes are welcome at the festival, which will run from 12-7 p.m.