The Eastern Echo Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 | Print Archive

Sweet Charity Church Scene

Theater directors seek actors: Auditions set for Wednesday

Eastern Michigan University seeking next Autumn Star

On the first day of class, Eastern Michigan Theatre sent out a casting call: All students in good academic standing (regardless of major) are invited to Wednesday's auditions for the fall performance lineup.

From 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 28, directors will be in the Sponberg Theatre, in the Judy Sturgis Hill building, hosting auditions for a variety of parts in A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Silent Sky.

Director Brian Sage is looking for 12 people to fill out his ensemble cast for Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream. The classic play is an hour long and requires cast members to be comfortable with (choreographed) close physical proximity and making contact with one another throughout rehearsals and the performances. Following several groups, William Shakespeare’s play shows audiences the lives of four fleeing lovers from Athens and a group of bumbling actors as they travel through a forest home to the feuding king and queen of the fairies. Only one person, the mischievous Puck, knows what is going on and is able to navigate what is magic vs reality.

Directors, in a written announcement on the audition, said all students, regardless of race, ethnicity, or gender identity, or ability, are welcome to audition and join the productions.

To audition, students should prepare a one-minute Shakespeare monologue to be performed at Sponberg Theatre. Those auditioning should also bring a list of all possible rehearsal conflicts in their schedules. Monologues should be memorized; however, reading material will be available at the auditions for those without time to prepare.

Callbacks will be in the Sponberg Theatre the next day. 

Rehearsals for A Midsummer Night’s Dream begin Friday, Sept. 6 at 9 a.m. and last until 3 p.m., along with a Saturday daytime rehearsal Sept. 14 and Sunday evenings. Cast and crew will travel to various high schools to perform the show Fridays 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. throughout November. Then, the show will be performed at the Sponberg Theatre at 7 p.m. Dec. 6 and 7; and 2 p.m. matinees Dec. 7 and 8.

Director Jennifer Goff is looking for four female-identifying and one male-identifying actor to perform the story of Silent Sky. The roles of Henrietta and Peter call for onstage kissing and close contact, actors for these parts need to be comfortable with this choreographed intimacy. Based on the real-life events and story of Henrietta Leavitt, a 20th century astronomer at Harvard Observatory, the play follows Henrietta’s story as she embarks to become an astronomer, and not just a computer in a time and place where women were not allowed to even touch telescopes. Audiences will watch her struggles to balance an advancing career in a field where she is not welcome and her life with the man she loves. 

To audition for Silent Sky, prepare a one-minute contemporary monologue and bring a list of all possible rehearsal conflicts. Monologues should be memorized; however, reading material will be available at the auditions for those without time to prepare. Callbacks will be in Judy Sturgis Hill Room 131 the next day after auditions.

Rehearsals begin Oct. 21, and will primarily be held evenings, with cast and crew yet to set times based on availability. Live performances begin Nov. 21 in the Legacy Theatre with shows at 7 p.m. Nov. 21, 22, and 23. Matinee performances are 2 p.m. Nov. 23 and 24. 

Students are welcome to audition for both shows and prepare both monologues.

Callbacks for both plays and their potential cast members will begin Thursday, Aug. 29 at 6 p.m. and last to 9 p.m.

For more information, please contact Pam Cardell at pcardell@emich.edu , visit the EMU Theatre offices in 103 Judy Sturgis Hill, or call 734-487-1220.