The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 | Print Archive

Coraline Movie Poster

Review: ‘Coraline’ returns to theaters for its 15th anniversary in remastered 3D

LAIKA’s “Coraline,” celebrated its 15th anniversary with the re-release of the original version and the release of a remastered 3D version at select theaters. The film, written by Neil Gaiman and directed by Henry Selick, was originally released in 2009.

After the credits rolled into theaters, viewers went behind the scenes with Coraline Jones and LAIKA’s puppet fabrication team to see the making of the “Coraline” puppets. In the post-credit footage, the team highlighted the changes in design and technology since the original making of “Coraline” in 2009.

The film follows a girl named Coraline Jones as she reluctantly moves from Michigan into the Pink Palace Apartments in Oregon. After exploring her new home and meeting her new neighbors, she remains unhappy and ventures into the seemingly perfect, “Other World” through a small door. 

Highs

Seeing the stop-motion film in theaters and remastered 3D was a thrilling experience. The characters, such as Coraline and the “Other Mother,” came to life even more as they popped out of the screen. The 3D element also tapped into the film’s, particularly the “Other World’s,” dreamlike qualities like the talking objects. 

The addition of the behind-the-scenes footage was another highlight as fans got to see “Coraline” from a fresh perspective. As an artist, it was fascinating to see the design work that went into creating the iconic puppets.

Lows

“Coraline” as a whole has few lows. A sequel or prequel would add more context and be a cool addition to the film that we know and love. However, LAIKA declined the idea so fans could continue to dream.

Verdict

While my eyes have experienced “Coraline” numerous times on my television, laptop, and phone, seeing the film in theaters and 3D for the first time added to my love for the film.

Rating: 10 out of 10.

Madison Cantrell is the Arts and Entertainment Editor at the Eastern Echo and the Editor-in-Chief of Cellar Roots, EMU’s Fine Art Magazine. Since Fall 2023, they have written news, features, and reviews and taken photos for the Echo.