The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 | Print Archive

Eastern Michigan Vs. Kentucky State

Olivia Sipsock scores twice to lead EMU past Youngstown State

Eastern Michigan University's women's soccer team faced off in a match that saw EMU win 2-0 over Youngstown State University after their Senior Day celebration.

They honored eight seniors Sunday, Aug. 25: Sophia D’Ambra (Glen Ellyn, Illinois), Meagan Lukowski (Bay City, Michigan), Maddie O’Farrell (Haslett, Michigan), Ashley Schneider (Johnstown, Ohio), Chloe Rajewski (Midland, Michigan), Jamie Lefebvre (London, Ontario), Sam Lenaghan (Toronto, Ontario), and Vittoria Greco (London, Ontario).

The highlight of the match was a non-senior for EMU. Olivia Sipsock (Medina, Ohio) tallied two goals, which was the only scoring for the entire match. The Eagles held the lead in all but eight seconds of the match, as the first goal was scored right out of the gate.

The Eagles have yet to lose a match with their new head coach, Taylor Clarke.

Sipsock scored the second goal at the ‘66 mark, and she now has three goals in the young season, having additionally scored at the University of Illinois Chicago on Thursday, Aug. 22.

Eastern Michigan took 11 shots, five of them on goal. Two players off the bench recorded shots as well, Secora Johnson (Galena, Ohio) and Sophia Baumann (Romeo, Michigan). The two each played 35 minutes, respectively. They beat Youngstown State in this category, as the Penguins only had eight shots on goal.

Allowing no goals on the defensive side of the ball, redshirt sophomore Ella Holland (Dunwoody, Georgia) shined once again and continues to prove why she should be protecting the net for the Eagles. She recorded seven saves in the win over the Penguins. She has only allowed two goals in three matches during the season.

Because the two goals were allowed at UIC away from home, Eastern has yet to allow a goal at home this season. For the first time in 20 years, the program has won every one of its first three matches to begin a season. 

Temperatures reached a peak of 87 degrees at Scicluna Field, and the game had multiple stoppages to ensure that the players were properly hydrated. It was Eastern Michigan's second regular-season home match. They have one more home match in their non-conference schedule before Mid-American Conference play starts on Sep. 19.

Eastern Michigan will stay at home for a later-week matchup at Scicluna Field. On Thursday, Aug. 29, the Eagles will host the Purdue Fort Wayne Mastodons at Scicluna Field. The match is scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m., and the Eagles will look to improve their season record to 4-0.