The Eastern Echo Thursday, Sept. 12, 2024 | Print Archive

Louie the Lightning Bug 2

Louie the Lightning Bug: play it safe around electricity

For 19 years, the DTE energy foundation and the EMU foundation have delivered DTE energy’s “Play it Safe around Electricity” program, an initiative that strives to provide children the opportunity to learn an elementary understanding of electricity and natural gas in an engaged and playful manner. 

With the help of Louie, the program’s vibrant lightning bug mascot, children ages pre-k to early elementary are taught the principles of electrical safety and better prepared to respond to possible hazardous encounters, such as removing power cords from outlets and how to interact daily in a safe manner.

As part of the initiative, EMU students have the opportunity to take part in the program and be Louie the Lightning Bug. Traveling around communities in the lower region of Michigan, Louie gets to present in classrooms, science fairs, libraries, and so many exciting events. Other than the occasional meet and greet, the events are typically part of Safety Town, a much larger summer program geared toward teaching children road safety, fire safety, and similar concepts.

With nearly three years of experience as Louie under his belt, rising senior AbdurRahman Elder first took interest in joining the Louie team through conversation with Dr. Anita Rich, the program's director. As an opportunity to closely work with the youth and hone in on his improv skills, Elder decided to join the team. 

“There are two primary pieces of a Louie show,” Elder said. “One who gives the presentation and one who wears the Louie costume mascot. Louie never speaks.”

Working as a team of two, the presentation typically begins with a book about electrical safety, featuring Louie. Using a wooden box with outlets for interpretive presentation, the pair will then teach kids to safely plug in cords, how to problem solve and safely navigate around downed power lines, and the dangers of mixing water and electricity. The presentation will then typically wrap up with a video covering relative concepts. 

Rising junior media studies and journalism major Matthew McFarlin recently completed his first season as Louie. Acting in the EMU theatre for the Young Tour show "Hare and Tortoise" in 2023 gave him experience traveling and performing for children.

Though there's a rough script with Louie, McFarlin said that the improv can often be challenging. However, both McFarlin and Elder joke that the hardest part about being part of team Louie is the “secret mission” to discreetly transform into Louie.

Louie the Lightning Bug

“It’s this mission impossible-style stealth game of hiding who wears the suit,” the two joke, adding that the children are sometimes none-the-wiser and have caught them a few times. 

"Older kids have been notoriously ruthless, but they come around in the end," McFarlin said. "They can’t help but feel compelled to give the giant lightning bug a high five or hug.”

McFarlin finds the job's interaction with children the most rewarding part.

“The most rewarding aspect of the job is seeing the kids who wholeheartedly believe in Louie," McFarlin said. "You can almost literally see the sparkle in their eyes. It makes the early morning wake-ups worth it.”

Elder encourages anyone to apply if they’re seeking a fulfilling summer job. Initially on the fence about applying, McFarlin took a chance on Louie, and decided it was worth it.

“Getting a group that’s eager to give Louie a high five and hug at the end of the presentation makes Louie the sweetest summer job I’ve ever had," McFarlin said.

If you would love to be Louie and take part in teaching children in the community to play it safe around electricity, you can learn more here. Furthermore, contact Dr. Anita Rich by reaching out to Arich@emu.