The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 | Print Archive

JT Killen

EMU's JT Killen named to Shrine Bowl 1000 list ahead of historic 100th game

Eastern Michigan University linebacker JT Killen has been named to the prestigious Shrine Bowl 1000, announced on July 23. This recognition is particularly significant as the East-West Shrine Bowl prepares to celebrate its 100th game in 2025. The Bowl, renowned as the nation's longest-running college all-star football game, offers top college players a platform to showcase their skills to NFL scouts. It will be broadcast live on the NFL Network from AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on Jan. 30, 2025.

Killen, who hails from Lake Wylie, South Carolina, joined the Eastern Michigan program following an impressive career at Coastal Carolina University. While at Coastal Carolina, Killen played in 55 games, recording 198 career tackles, including 54 solo and 134 assists. He also notched 11 tackles-for-loss, seven pass deflections, 3.5 sacks, three fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles, and one interception. A 2023 graduate of CCU, Killen was recognized as a 2023 HERO Sports Group of Five All-American Third Team selection and was on the 2023 Lombardi Award Preseason Watch List. In his short time with Eastern Michigan, Killen has already made waves, being named to the 2024 Preseason Athlon Sports All-MAC Second Team Defense and the 2024 Preseason Phil Steele's All-MAC Third Team Defense. His inclusion in the Shrine Bowl 1000 underscores his significant impact and potential for the upcoming season.

The East-West Shrine Bowl, established in 1925, has a storied history of benefiting Shriners Children's, an organization dedicated to providing top-notch care for children with orthopedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate, regardless of their families' financial capabilities. The game not only highlights the athletic talents of college players, but also raises awareness and support for Shriners Children's mission. Over the past 99 years, the Shrine Bowl has seen participation from some of football's greatest athletes and coaches. Legends like Tom Brady, Walter Payton, Lawrence Taylor, John Elway, Gale Sayers, and Jimmy Garoppolo have played in the game. At the same time, coaching icons such as Don Shula, Dick Vermeil, Paul "Bear" Bryant, and Jerry Glanville have lent their support.

For fans and aspiring athletes, Killen's recognition is a testament to the hard work and dedication required to excel at the collegiate level. It also places Eastern Michigan University in the national spotlight, showcasing the talent and potential within its football program. The East-West Shrine Bowl offers players like Killen a unique opportunity to impress NFL scouts and secure a future in professional football. Moreover, the game's connection to Shriners Children's highlights the profound impact sports can have beyond the field. By supporting the Shrine Bowl, fans contribute to a cause that provides vital medical care to needy children.

As the 2024 season approaches, excitement and anticipation are building within the Eastern Michigan football program. Under the leadership of head coach Chris Creighton, the team has shown remarkable growth and determination. With experienced veterans like Killen and promising newcomers, the Eagles are poised to make a strong run for the MAC championship.

Creighton encapsulates the team's spirit: "We know who we are. There's no question about that. And guys who fit us are out there. It's just up to us to find them and for them to meet our guys and to be around. That's when the magic happens."

With the magic beginning to unfold, Eastern Michigan fans have much to look forward to in the coming season.

For more information and the complete list of the Shrine Bowl 1000, visit Shrine Bowl 1000.