The Eastern Echo Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 | Print Archive

IMG_1705.JPG

EMU Football kicks off fall camp with high energy and unity

The Eastern Michigan University football team began its fall camp under clear blue skies at Rynearson Stadium, radiating enthusiasm as they took the field.

Head Coach Chris Creighton expressed optimism following the first practice, highlighting the team’s unity and eagerness for the season ahead.

"Day one was fantastic," Creighton said. "We've got 119 guys that want to be here, want to get better, and are really coming together."

For an insider's look at the 2024 camp and to hear directly from Head Coach Chris Creighton, check out his thoughts in this video: Chris Creighton on 2024 Camp.

His pride in the team’s cohesion was evident as he recapped the day’s activities, which began with productive meetings the night before and carried over into a spirited morning practice.

Transitioning from summer workouts to complete football activities posed challenges despite the team’s excellent preparation.

"Our strength staff is an A-plus. They're excellent at what they do," Creighton noted. "But now you're playing football. You can't simulate that."

The first day’s practice was structured with 16 periods, focusing on acclimating players to the physical demands of football.

"We're really wise with how we structure it so that our guys can get acclimated," Creighton added, underscoring the importance of adjusting to the game’s intensity.

With many new faces on the roster, the challenge of maintaining and enhancing the team’s culture amid change was a key focus.

"How do you maintain and even grow your culture in the midst of college football these days where there is so much transition and whatnot?" Creighton reflected.

The answer, he believes, lies in the strength of EMU’s established culture.

"We have a very strong culture that everybody who's been with the program knows, understands, and frankly believes in and loves," Creighton said.

This commitment to culture extends to the team’s recruitment strategy.

"We recruit to that. We make sure people understand who we are, how we do it, why we do it. And then we're attracting those guys," Creighton explained.

This approach ensures that new members quickly assimilate into EMU football’s ethos.

"Our leaders lead, and whether a guy's in his last year but his first year with us, he wants to be a part of what we're doing and how we do it," Creighton said.

This year’s theme, "BET," is deeply rooted in the program’s history, symbolizing belief, excellence, and teamwork — key components of championship teams.

"It goes back to the 130-plus years of football at Eastern Michigan," Creighton said, emphasizing the enduring values that guide the team.

The day's excitement was further amplified by practicing on the newly upgraded Maxx Crosby Field for the first time.

"It looks like a football stadium and it feels like a football stadium. It's beautiful," Creighton remarked, expressing pride in the facility. "We all appreciate it and want to make this first season on it special."

As fall camp progresses, the Eagles are not merely preparing for another season. They are building on a rich legacy, fostering a resilient team culture, and entering a new era with renewed purpose. Under Coach Creighton’s leadership, the 2024 season holds great promise for Eastern Michigan University football.