The Eastern Echo Saturday, Sept. 14, 2024 | Print Archive

IMG_1705.JPG

Eastern Michigan Football gears up for 2024 season opener against UMass

As the Eastern Michigan Eagles prepare to kick off the 2024 football season against the University of Massachusetts, head coach Chris Creighton reflects on a fast-paced and productive preseason camp.

“Camp went by quickly,” Creighton shared, emphasizing the team's relatively good health despite some injuries. With 119 players on the roster, including 53 newcomers, Creighton is optimistic about the squad's cohesion and progress. “I think we got better pretty much every day, and we are really excited about getting started.”

New Faces in Key Roles

One of the significant topics leading up to the season opener is the announcement of Cole Snyder as the starting quarterback. Creighton praised Snyder's fit within the program, highlighting his maturity, serious approach to football, and extensive experience.

“He’s very mature. He’s very serious about football… He’s a seasoned veteran and a smart football player. We’re excited about it,” Creighton remarked.

The backfield also sees fresh faces, with Dontae McMillan, Delbert Mimms, and Elijah Jackson-Anderson emerging as the top three running backs. Creighton expressed confidence in the group, noting McMillan's rugged running style, Mimms’ ability to get the tough yards, and Jackson-Anderson’s explosive potential.

Oran Singleton to Wear ‘The Deuce’

This season also marks a significant moment for wide receiver Oran Singleton, who has been selected to wear the revered number 2 jersey, "The Deuce." This number holds a special place in the Eastern Michigan football program, symbolizing the legacy of Demarius Reed, a former wide receiver who tragically passed away in 2013. "The Deuce" is awarded to a player who embodies the integrity, character, and selflessness that the program values.

Singleton, who transferred from Akron to junior college, views this opportunity as a second chance to achieve the college football career he always envisioned. He spoke about the honor of wearing "The Deuce," emphasizing how much it means to him to represent Reed's legacy.

“It means a lot to honor 'The Deuce' at Eastern Michigan,” Singleton shared. “The way the guys talk about it and the way D. Reed talked about his son, the way he loved to compete—it's honorable.”

As Singleton prepares to debut in the season opener, he is focused on helping his team secure a win and making a meaningful contribution on and off the field.

Defensive Depth and Strength

Defensively, the Eagles are bolstered by the return of several key players and the addition of experienced transfers. The defensive line, in particular, is a point of strength. “We’ve brought in three transfers that were all starting at their previous institutions,” Creighton said, emphasizing the newcomers' depth and experience.

In the defensive secondary, the return of Joshua Scott, who missed last season due to injury, alongside standout Daiquan White, provides the team with a solid foundation. The coaching staff is also excited about new additions, including Dramarian McNulty from Mississippi Junior College and freshman Jaheim Jenkins, who had a standout camp.

Challenges and Expectations

Facing UMass for the fourth straight year, Creighton acknowledges the challenge of preparing for a team with many new faces due to the transfer portal.

“It’s almost impossible to know what a team’s personnel is going to be like,” Creighton noted.

Despite these uncertainties, he remains confident in his team’s preparation, particularly noting UMass’s reputation for strong defense under head coach Don Brown.

The Eagles also adapt to new NCAA clock rules and implement helmet-to-helmet communication, which Creighton admits brings changes to the game's flow.

“I personally think that it just cheapens it. Tell people what to do versus coach them, get them ready… But it is what it is, and that’s how we’re going,” he remarked.

Looking Ahead

As Eastern Michigan enters the 2024 season, the focus remains on building team chemistry and gaining experience, particularly with many new players. Creighton highlighted the team’s caring attitude and commitment to representing the program positively, both on and off the field. With aspirations of winning the MAC Championship, the immediate challenge for the Eagles will be integrating new players and finding their rhythm as a cohesive unit.

The last time these two teams met, Eastern Michigan secured a narrow 19-17 victory over UMass on September 16, 2023. As the Eagles head to Amherst for the season opener, fans can expect another closely contested battle to kick off the 2024 season.

EMU vs. UMass Odds

• Spread: UMass - 2.5
  • Over/Under: 49.5 points
  • Moneyline: UMass - 145
  • ESPN Analytics: UMass has a 56.6% chance to win

Game Information

The 2024 season opener is set for Saturday, August 31, 2024, at 3:30 p.m. at McGuirk Alumni Stadium in Amherst, Massachusetts. Fans can catch the game live on ESPN+ as the Eagles take on UMass in what promises to be an exciting start to the season.